free website stats program Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start

Stray Dog I think dbmg answered the question about running the pump by bypassing the relay, with some dire consequences.

dbmg said "When bike was new and dealer had to replace tank, the relay was jumped in a way that the fuel pump would run continuously to drain tank and after replacing tank bike would not start. Guess what. ECM was burnt up. "

the relay jumped, not by passed is how I read it.
not trying to be difficult here HDDon, I think from reading all the posts that the pump is not running....why tho? how to test?

To the OP, have you tried to squirt gas into the intake to see if it fire up? If it does momentarily then you know it's a fuel problem. Like some here I'm also confused. I will re-read this thread. As far as running the fuel pump manually I would disconnect wires at the tank and run a temp. 12Vdc jumper & grnd. to the pump, thus eliminating the ECM. Never tried it but that's what I'd do.
tourbox

Hang in there....I'm betting a light bulb goes off soon. These good folk on here will get you riding soon.

IF you are pulling the tank, I just got a funnel, empty gas can and disconnected the hose at the front of the tank, aimed at the funnel and done.

IF it comes down to replacing the fuel pump: If a shunned Amish geek can do it, you can do it. Read the manual, follow the instructions. be careful with the hoses on the pump, they break off the neck of the pump easy. ( don't ask how I know that):D Its really pretty easy once you get past the fear of the unknown. while you are in there, look at all hoses in the tank, they rub and get holes in them. change your fuel filter lately? yer in there....may as well. go ahead and buy some chrome while yer spending money, you deserve it.:small3d036:
Shop for a pump, ebay, Indy's, etc. will save you about 50%. No dealers.

Just for grins - you sure you checked that 15amp fuse on the right side of the bike behind the side panel? pg 9-4 in the manual.

maybe, just maybe - Bike died(pump), a heavy twist on the throttle to recover and snapped the cable?

get out the cuss jar, realize that dirty is good and have a blast getting to know the scoot.

keep us posted........someone is learning a boatload on this post

Thanks for the positive reinforcement Amish Hawg!

I've been trying to get the fuel pump out, so I can test it, and probably replace it.

I'm giving up for tonight though as I can't get it out. Can't find the spring loaded hinge they are talking about in the manual (see attachment)

Also, I found the part 62897-01 at Ronnie's for $ 230, but indeed on Ebay I found it for $ 70 and cheaper.

Want to order tomorrow morning so it has the weekend to ship, but need to get the old one out first......

Looking at this youtube,I should be able to get it out without cutting the hose clamp on the convoluted tube:

How to replace Harley Davidson fuel filter on Fuel Injected models Part 1 - YouTube

maybe, just maybe - Bike died(pump), a heavy twist on the throttle to recover and snapped the cable?
But then I would have snapped the throttle cable and not the idle cable correct?

Attachments

• 2014-09-25 21.35.13.jpg
    2014-09-25 21.35.13.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 12
  • sl.jpg
    sl.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8
I have never touched a fi system but looking at the picture and the exert from the manual to me the spring loaded hinge would be the half D shaped very obvious round bar in the picture looks like it would detach from the right side of the picture and pivot on the left side it might take a wee bit of force to get it to unlock as it seems to be sitting in a wee recess and some force will be required to get it out and down from the recess
After a long hard day sometimes the most obvious escapes us and it is always a good idea to step back and reassess when stuff gets difficult rather than wrecking something apart

Brian

Fin_676 wrote: looking at the picture and the exert from the manual to me the spring loaded hinge would be the half D shaped very obvious round bar in the picture looks like it would detach from the right side of the picture and pivot on the left side it might take a wee bit of force to get it to unlock as it seems to be sitting in a wee recess and some force will be required to get it out and down from the recess

No, the "Wireform" (as it is called in the manual) holds the fuel filter canister and the fuel pressure regulator together. I have marked those in on of the attachments, as well as the hinge pressure point (indicated by red arrow) to get the whole assembly out through the tank opening.

In the other attachments; the fuel pump up close, and the whole assembly laying on the tank, will she ever run again.....?

So I got it out, and confirmed power at the pump, yet pump doesn't do anything. What we thought all along is true; pump is dead :(

Ordered one from ebay. fingers crossed!

Thanks all, will keep you posted!

Attachments

• exha.jpg
    exha.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
  • exhb.jpg
    exhb.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 2014-09-26 08.14.52.jpg
    2014-09-26 08.14.52.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 14
Glad you got it figured out. Just curious, is the pump you ordered on ebay a genuine Harley-Davidson or aftermarket pump?

Glad you got it figured out. Just curious, is the pump you ordered on ebay a genuine Harley-Davidson or aftermarket pump?

I was wondering the same thing. That little project is not one to repeat in 10K miles when the Brand X part fails. That PN is available from Newcastle for $190, plus shipping. The PN includes not just the pump but the other 5-6 pieces of hardware recommended for replacement with the pump, i.e., the cable strap, rubber cushion and sleeve, rubber bumper, pump housing and end cap. I know some HD parts seem over priced but you have to ask yourself, would it be worth the $120 you are saving with the Ebay part to avoid replacing that fuel pump again or would you rather pay the $120 and most likely never have to replace the fuel pump again for as long as you own the bike. I think someone once made reference to such situations as "penny wise and pound foolish". In certain situations, it is best to pay the price and stick with HD parts but that's JMHO. :D

It's aftermarket. I have not actually bought them yet, but was planning on buying this fuel pump and while I am in the tank, I was also planning to replace the fuel filter canister with this one.
Both are aftermarket replacements for the actual Harley partnumbers.

Good idea or penny wise pound foolish?

dolt and I must have pushed submit around the same time. so, it sounds like pound foolish!

Will check out Newcastle. Do you have good experience with them?

Back