free website stats program Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start

Before heading to work (in the car :() I was able to take of the tank canopy and use the multimeter on the power going to the pump, as in attachment.

The connector has three wires, and I measure following voltages:

11.4 between black - red (2 seconds)
4.1 between yellow - red
5.4 between yellow - black

Odd thing is that even with connector removed as in attachment I still hear that fain click and gurgling noise upon switching to run and back to stop.

Tried to get to the injector wires, but can't get to it. Guess I really have to remove the tank.
Good deal, you've established you have power at the pump plug. You say with the power unplugged at the pump you still hear click/gurgling? That can't be the pump your hearing, pump can't cycle without power. I'm at a loss with what your hearing unless it's the injectors bleeding down but I really doubt that. I think the next thing to do is check for power at the injectors. I'm still leaning in the direction of a bad fuel pump tho.

In anticipation of tonight's (or tomorrow's) fuel tank removal, so I can get to the injectors, is it really necessary to drain the fuel, or can I take the whole thing of while leaving the fuel in?

Anybody any experience with that?

If you take two pairs of needle nose vice grips and pinch off the crossover hose on each side of the bike. You can then cut in between the two vice grips and if they are pinched off good you will have very little fuel spill. Best if done with as least amount of fuel in the tank as possible. Putting it back together when complete gets tricky but with help, can be done....

If you take two pairs of needle nose vice grips and pinch off the crossover hose on each side of the bike. You can then cut in between the two vice grips and if they are pinched off good you will have very little fuel spill. Best if done with as least amount of fuel in the tank as possible. Putting it back together when complete gets tricky but with help, can be done....

Why not just loosen tank and tip the back up and set a block of wood underneath where tank attaches near seat. Would that not get enough clearance to check injector leads?????

I removed mine with about a 1/2 tank worth of gas in it. I pinched off the cross over hose on one side with a vice grips and removed the clamp on the other side and slid off the hose. You'll get a little fuel run out but not much if you put your finger over the fuel outlet. You'll have to replace the clamp with a new one unless you have the special plier that remove the stock clamp. Make sure you have the tank unbolted and the fuel pressure line off before you remove the cross over hose. I stood mine up against the wall and no fuel leaked out.

Why not just loosen tank and tip the back up and set a block of wood underneath where tank attaches near seat. Would that not get enough clearance to check injector leads?????

Good advice, that would be my first choice. Didn't work for me tho with my club fingers!:newsmile100:

dbmg has you covered here. I remember several post where members were installing fuelers and had success just raising the back of the tank to access the fuel injector connections. If I remember correctly it is a little tight but doable.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong and you have the right people on here helping you. But one item is jabbing me a tad in my ribs.

Kill switch ON, Run switch ON and you don't hear the 2-3 second "hum" like you used to? I'm stuck at the fuel pump and/or assembly, there's the problem. To satisfy my own curiosity, why check the injectors if your pump isn't pumping?

Rain or shine, cold or hot on mine, that 2-3 second hum is my scoot telling me to ride. Take that gas cap off, stick your ear to it and try it. There isn't any "faintness" to it, you'll hear that pump without question.

Great read by the way, popcorn out, sitting at the airport and taking notes.:s

Good luck

Does the fuel pump get power from a relay? EFI System Relay???
If so maybe someone could shed some light here because I'm not really sure.

Just thinking.....

Can a person energize the pump alone to find out if it works?

I certain there is a relay for the pump. Many folks jump the relay to make the pump run to pump the fuel out of the tank. No experience with it though. I love my CV! Thanks Bubbie!

Back