free website stats program Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start

I certain there is a relay for the pump. Many folks jump the relay to make the pump run to pump the fuel out of the tank. No experience with it though. I love my CV! Thanks Bubbie!

When bike was new and dealer had to replace tank, the relay was jumped in a way that the fuel pump would run continuously to drain tank and after replacing tank bike would not start. Guess what. ECM was burnt up.

There must be something a miss with this situation. If bike was running flawlessly I can not comprehend how replacing throttle cables unless a problem arose while changing cables that would cause this bike to crank but not run. Should tank have been removed in the first place to replace cables and could there have been collateral damage because it was not.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong and you have the right people on here helping you. But one item is jabbing me a tad in my ribs.

Kill switch ON, Run switch ON and you don't hear the 2-3 second "hum" like you used to? I'm stuck at the fuel pump and/or assembly, there's the problem. To satisfy my own curiosity, why check the injectors if your pump isn't pumping?

Rain or shine, cold or hot on mine, that 2-3 second hum is my scoot telling me to ride. Take that gas cap off, stick your ear to it and try it. There isn't any "faintness" to it, you'll hear that pump without question.

Great read by the way, popcorn out, sitting at the airport and taking notes.:s

Good luck

After reading all the OP's posts I'm confused weather the pump cycles or not. From what he described I also suggested it was a bad pump but then he thinks he hears it run. I'm so confused, I need a drink!:nosad

Does the fuel pump get power from a relay? EFI System Relay???
If so maybe someone could shed some light here because I'm not really sure.

Just thinking.....

Can a person energize the pump alone to find out if it works?

stray dog, OP stated he checked and had power at the plug for the pump. wouldn't that suggest the relay is working? My money say's it's a bad pump.

I am not trying (at least not purposely) to confuse anybody,and I usually don't believe in coincidences either, so from the beginning I though the cable break caused the engine to die, thinking this was normal behavior when a cable breaks.

Then I found out it has two cables. The throttle cable was intact and the idle cable broken in the switch housing. Couldn't think of a reason why engine would die, as throttle cable was still intact, but I figured I will replace the idle cable and do the throttle cable at the same time for obvious reasons.

So last Sunday I had to call four dealers before I found one who had the parts in stock, thank you Harley Davidson of Frederick !

Upon returning to the garage I confidently replaced the cables, convinced she would start right up and I could go for a spin to celebrate. Unfortunately that was not the case. Still thinking I did something wrong with the cables I started this post to solicit you help. It wasn't until Monday that I realized the fuel pump didn't seem to work, as I didn't hear the usual 2-3 second priming hum anymore.

Upon switching to run i hear a click and somewhat of a gurgling noise (can't think of a better description) when switching back to stop.

Clearly this is not normal fuel pump noise, and as I determined this morning it is not even the fuel pump, as I still hear those noises while electrical connector is removed from fuel pump, see picture in my earlier post from this morning.

Amish Hawg wrote: To satisfy my own curiosity, why check the injectors if your pump isn't pumping?

I hear you; but I was hoping other (easier) issues could be the cause for the pump not working.

Replacing the pump seems hard and probably expensive. And going back to not believing in coincidences, why would the fuel pump suddenly die the same split-second my idle cable brakes?

Jeff Wrote: I'm so confused

You are not the only one. But I am not giving up, and am convinced that between my tools/determination and all you guys help, we are going to fix this.
Maybe I should also try to figure out who the patron Saint of motorcycles is and and pray.....:)

http://www.hdoffrederick.com/default.asp

I really follow all the post that seem to be electrical in nature because what I know about electrical systems you could put in a thimble and still get your finger in it. I've been following this thread and I went down to look at my '05 touring manual. If you are replacing or adjusting cables on the '05 FI touring bike there is quite a procedure for checking for correct readings on the unit. Could the OP be having trouble with the new cables not being set right? I don't want to confuse the issue, but it seems with the procedures in the manual the right readings are critical.

I am not trying (at least not purposely) to confuse anybody,and I usually don't believe in coincidences either, so from the beginning I though the cable break caused the engine to die, thinking this was normal behavior when a cable breaks.

Then I found out it has two cables. The throttle cable was intact and the idle cable broken in the switch housing. Couldn't think of a reason why engine would die, as throttle cable was still intact, but I figured I will replace the idle cable and do the throttle cable at the same time for obvious reasons.

So last Sunday I had to call four dealers before I found one who had the parts in stock, thank you Harley Davidson of Frederick !

Upon returning to the garage I confidently replaced the cables, convinced she would start right up and I could go for a spin to celebrate. Unfortunately that was not the case. Still thinking I did something wrong with the cables I started this post to solicit you help. It wasn't until Monday that I realized the fuel pump didn't seem to work, as I didn't hear the usual 2-3 second priming hum anymore.

Upon switching to run i hear a click and somewhat of a gurgling noise (can't think of a better description) when switching back to stop.

Clearly this is not normal fuel pump noise, and as I determined this morning it is not even the fuel pump, as I still hear those noises while electrical connector is removed from fuel pump, see picture in my earlier post from this morning.

I hear you; but I was hoping other (easier) issues could be the cause for the pump not working.

Replacing the pump seems hard and probably expensive. And going back to not believing in coincidences, why would the fuel pump suddenly die the same split-second my idle cable brakes?

You are not the only one. But I am not giving up, and am convinced that between my tools/determination and all you guys help, we are going to fix this.
Maybe I should also try to figure out who the patron Saint of motorcycles is and and pray.....:)

http://www.hdoffrederick.com/default.asp

OK, heres the bottom line. If you have power to the pump as you described there is no issue with the power supply. When the pump is energized with a power supply the pump will make a humming sound for about 3 seconds as it pumps the needed fuel to the injectors. A working fuel pump won't click or it won't gurgle, IF you don't hear the pump run/humming sound for the 3 or so seconds after you power it up the pump is not working. I can't explain why you would be having this issue at the same time the cable broke but it is what it is. Either the fuel pump is working or it is not.

In anticipation of tonight's (or tomorrow's) fuel tank removal, so I can get to the injectors, is it really necessary to drain the fuel, or can I take the whole thing of while leaving the fuel in?

Anybody any experience with that?

Follow Bodeen's advice but then install a quick disconnect connector and the next time you need to remove the tank; no drama.

Quick disconnect! Dolt-you da man. :D

I think from the beginning you had two issues from the get go because bike should have stayed idling when cable broke. Seems unlikely, but them the facts.

Forget about testing injectors until you determine if the pump is working or not. Is the pump 12v? Can a person bypass relay and directly energize the pump??

Stray Dog I think dbmg answered the question about running the pump by bypassing the relay, with some dire consequences.

Stray Dog I think dbmg answered the question about running the pump by bypassing the relay, with some dire consequences.

Its done regularly without dire consequences. However, if you do not know what your doing to pick the relay properly, anything can happen......

Back