free website stats program Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start

As I have stated before I am not a whiz at electrical issues. I went down again and checked my manual on replacing and adjusting the throttle/idle cables and they are pretty specific about the set up. It may not be anything but could the cables not being ohmed out to specks is causing the ECM to shut down the fuel pump? It could be nothing but going back to the initial problem of the cable breaking and the bike shutting down I think I would go back to the start when you replaced the cables and make sure the set up is correct. There are others here that truly understand the electrical system and how or what fail safe may be in place, but if it were me I would be starting from the first issue and making sure that whatever parameters need to be satisfied are met.

Thanks for all hints, tips, encouragement, and in general taking the time out of your riding schedules to help me out, it is most appreciated!!

I am at a total loss here and getting frustrated to the point where I am probably have the dealer pick it up, besides my wife wants her garage back.

I tested the relay and it seems to be working fine, but just for kicks I'll get an new one tomorrow morning.

Let you know how it goes.

Is it possible for the relay to be dropping out when there is an electrical draw on it?
I'm very curious to see what will happen with the new relay. :newsmile040:

11.7 volts at the plug is sufficient to activate the pump. Electrical problems are hit and miss but what you first described pointed to a bad pump. I'm at a total loss with what is going on but still might be to early for the dealer. It's time to retrace everything you've done and start at the battery and work forward testing all fuses, relays and wires that control the fuel delivery system.

This is a strange one. In looking at the pic with VOM I see you have it across the pump connector. If the pump worked on the car battery then I would go back to the wiring to the pump. I would hook the VOM up to a physical ground and the Org./Gray at the connector and watch for the voltage for the 2-3 sec. pulse. If it's there ck. your grnd side of the plug for proper grounding. The Blk. wire should not have any voltage to it. It goes several places for grounds,neutral swt.,tail lights etc. You could also hook up a separate 12Vdc & grnd. to the pump from the bike's battery to see if it works then. If so you know something is wrong for sure with the pump incoming wiring. Keep us posted.
tourbox

Went to the dealer, tried to return the pump, no joy there.

Bought a new relay. $ 7.92 later we seem to be in good shape!!

Pump is pumping. Hallelujah!

So even though I measured nearly 12v this morning at the pump connector, she wouldn't run. With the new relay she does and I hear the 2 sec humming noise again!

As I said before: I don't get the electrical part, but I am willing to try anything.

So I am going to put her back together.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 13
Great Video. I filled up a couple cuss jars on that darned hinge. ( $168 bucks so far):p

I was pretty much sold on the pump gone bad, sorry it didn't go that way. Someone will come along and need a pump sooner or later. On the bright side, you know your ride just that much better. Those that "get it" understand, those that don't, never will.

Hey, by the way, you have the Best of the Best on this thread. Your scoot will be running soon. Keep us posted

Back