free website stats program Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start

Jaguar F822

Last week while turning out of my driveway the bike (03 ultra electra glide) died on me, at the same time I felt something "snap" in my throttle grip.

Turned out to be a broken idle cable. I replaced it yesterday and did the throttle cable at the same time.

Everything is put back together but now she won't start. Normally when I flip the swith to the "run" position I hear this faint buzzing sound for a few seconds (fuel pump?). Now I don't hear that anymore, and she won't start. Turns over fine, but never catches....

All fuses are good!

Anybody any ideas on what to do next

Thanks

With the ing. on and you turn the kill switch to run you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds. If not you may want to first check the fuse, if you don't hear the pump it's not getting fuel.

Ok, so she's not starting because she's not getting fuel. I have checked fuses; they are all good.

Could I inadvertently have dislodged a electrical wire from the killswitch in the grip while hooking up the new cables?

Ok, so she's not starting because she's not getting fuel. I have checked fuses; they are all good.

Could I inadvertently have dislodged a electrical wire from the killswitch in the grip while hooking up the new cables?
That is a possibility, if you don't hear the pump run it's not getting power. You may want to retrace your steps under the cover to make sure you didn't break/crimp the wires.

From what you described the bike killed at the same time the cable broke, did it break up in the area of the housing? Is it possible the cable disrupted the wiring in the housing?

Yes, it broke in the switch housing, but it looked like a clean break.
I had a hard time putting the whole thing back together, so if it is a wiring problem in the switch housing it is probably my own doing.
I'll take it apart again tonight and check it out.

Thanks!

From what you described the bike killed at the same time the cable broke, did it break up in the area of the housing? Is it possible the cable disrupted the wiring in the housing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if it were the kill switch it wouldn't turn over, would it?

Did you take the tank off when you did this? Wonder if maybe you disconnected the injector wires if you didnt remove the tank...........

Correct me if I'm wrong but if it were the kill switch it wouldn't turn over, would it?
That part went right over my head, I was thinking more along the line that it sounds like he has no power to the fuel pump. Just seems odd the bike quit running at the same time the cable broke.

Back