free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

No where near that.I did about 2000 miles this year and about 1055 mile the past 3 years. Am I changing it too often?:newsmile093:

Last edited:
I've not been riding a long time (4 seasons) But since I only ride 5 or 6 months out of the year and the my bike sits in the garage( with an occasional ride if a nice day appears) I was told I should change the oil every season. Was this just another way to get more of my hard earned money from my favorite HD dealership?!?!:small3d031::small3d015::newsmile093:

Change the oil and filter once a season or every 3-5K miles, your choice here. I would suggest changing it before laying it up for the winter to remove all contaminants with the old oil.

I was told (before I found HDtalking) to do it at the end of every riding season, before parking for the winter. Unfortunately, my first season or two, I didn't know this, so I would park the bike & have it serviced before the next riding season. I now do it at the end of the season.

If your running 20/50 standard oils they are pretty thick.
A switch to a true 100% sny oil will be good for you Fall, winter spring and summer.(HD SMY3 does not count)
Your bike will thank you

Now don't I feel stupid... I'll bet that's what I bought was standard oil... It was in a black plastic container... what was I thinking... I wasn't on planet earth I guess... Well I'm taking that out... Question... Should I change the filter as well? Seems like I've read somewhere that you shouldn't mix these oils. Will what's in the filter be to much mixing?

Now don't I feel stupid... I'll bet that's what I bought was standard oil... It was in a black plastic container... what was I thinking... I wasn't on planet earth I guess... Well I'm taking that out... Question... Should I change the filter as well? Seems like I've read somewhere that you shouldn't mix these oils. Will what's in the filter be to much mixing?
I'm no pro by any means, & I'm sure the guru's will steer you right, but I would, better safe than sorry IMO.

If you just put the filter on and only have a few miles on it, just take it off and dump it out and save 15 bucks.:cheers

I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles unless I'm going on a long trip 2-up and packed for a few days of riding. Then I change it before and after the trip. Overkill? Maybe but no crankcase noises to scare me and now that I have changed to Mobil V-Twin 20-50 it's quieter than new.:bigsmiley11:

I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles unless I'm going on a long trip 2-up and packed for a few days of riding. Then I change it before and after the trip. Overkill? Maybe but no crankcase noises to scare me and now that I have changed to Mobil V-Twin 20-50 it's quieter than new.:bigsmiley11:

Nothing wrong with over maintaining anything. I do it myself:D

Well I've purchased some Amsoil 20W50... Gonna change it and the filter tomorrow.

Back