free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

This seems to be the place to post this. I'm curious how many others do this. In the fall before I put my bike away I change the oil. There is always three or four days in the winter when I can get out and go for a ride.Sometimes a really short one.In the spring ,just as the real riding season is coming on I change all of my oil again.I do this because I feel the extreme fluctuations in temp. over the winter can cause condensation.I may not be right,but I know I am starting the year maintaned and ready to ride

Assuming your a commutor, start changing your oil every 1000 miles so that you get the proceedure down pat! Oil is cheap, and the maintanace is good for the bike! you'll also see how the oil is turning for you at 1k, 2k, 3k, etc. Change that filter, and drain plug ring out also. the money that you'll save as you see how your oil turns for you at 1k intervals will pay for it's self in the long run, and those changes forces you to see other things that may need attention from those commuts.

Has anyone tried the Royal Purple? I heard it was suppose to work good for a Harley. :cheers
Also I change my oil in the spring and fall, I ride a lot

I too ride 140 to 160 miles a day even in foul weather. The longest my scoot has sat was 2 weeks because we had 3 feet of snow in Dec.
Harley shop did my first 2 services on my 08 Road Glide. The normal interval 1k 5k,I did my 10k. The oil looked very used and the primary case was very dark. Makes me wonder if they did anything at the hd shop. I think i will start doing the oils every 3k like i do my cars. so far i have used the hd oils but after reading i am going to look at some after market stuff.

Assuming your a commutor, start changing your oil every 1000 miles so that you get the proceedure down pat! Oil is cheap, and the maintanace is good for the bike! you'll also see how the oil is turning for you at 1k, 2k, 3k, etc. Change that filter, and drain plug ring out also. the money that you'll save as you see how your oil turns for you at 1k intervals will pay for it's self in the long run, and those changes forces you to see other things that may need attention from those commuts.

Not being a tree hugger, JMO 1000 miles is probably too close, and not really in the best interest of our great nation to waste good oil by doubling or in your case multiplying by 5 what would be "normal consumption." even if oil is "cheap" right now (synthetics BTW typically is $8 or more/quart).

Imagine if every motorcylist and cager ran with that philosopy of rampant consumption...not good if we want to reduce our dependance on foreign oil, or use our hard earned dollars on consumables instead of basic necessities like food, healthcare, job security and shelter in these potentially troubled economic times.

My wife and I ride 12,000 miles a year on average sometimes more but rarely less. I use synthetic and have both bikes serviced every 5,000 miles. During the spring through fall many weeks we log over 1,000 miles so every 1,000 for us would be out of the question.

I change all my fluids with Amsoil synthetics every 5,000 miles. The severe gear is great in the tranny. Less "cluck" on first gear plus smoother shifting.

Back