free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

Once we get him on good oil we have to get that right stuff in his tranmission and primary and he will be good to go :)
Ok Seems the Mobil 1 is the choice for engines. What about transmission and primary? What oils do you recommend? Also according to the manual these oil changes are stretched a little further. Transmission every 20k and the Primary every 10k. Are these numbers good or should it be sooner?
Well I'm editing this because had I gone to the "Self Help Information and Tips" link from gliders post I wouldn't have made the post... Good stuff in there... Video's too...

Last edited:
Changing oil and filter

I'am in the habit of changing oil and filter every 5000km when I ride my Dyna 1340 on long trips, every 4000 on roads and towns.
I use Motul 20/50 or 15/50 semi synthetic special HD.
Oils filters are very expensive and flow restritives. I have fitted a Billet oil cooler and a Golan oil filter and I clean it myself when I want...nice parts.
I can send you a picture if you want, but I think that you can find theses parts on the web (Parts and accessories various catalogs)

unless you have warrenty then go ahead and use the Moble 1, lol
no but seriouly, id use Royal Purple or regular/Syn HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR OIL!!!
and if u hav a new bike. your first oil change is 1,000 miles, then 3,000, 5,000, ect... change all your fluids though. Primary, Trans, and Engine. and for all bikes ( except V-Rods ) check the oil on the Jiffy stand/ kick stand up 2 2007 modles i believe. V-Rods, you check the oil having the bike stand straight up. ohh and dont forget your oil filter! :p chrome or black...

Every 5000 miles with synthetic.... my 2007 has almost 20,000 miles in less than two years. Have my bike serviced at the dealer every 5000 miles as they request per warranty. Several friends of mine have had engine problems long after the warranty has expired and the dealer goes to bat for you since they have the service records and you met all the required service. One friend of mine received a new engine and Harley paid the bill.....This is not guaranteed but I feel better knowing Harley has gone far beyond what they have to do.

According to the manual the oil should be changed:

in the engine every 5k
in the primary every 10k.
in the transmission every 20k

I have seen every milage number from 2500 up.

Seems to be personal preference, Glider, Top, Joy, what say you?

Like said above, I like every 3K with a filter as well as the primary and trans. Overkill but I like it that way. It's only a quart in the trans and one in the primary in most bikes and I know it's a clean as it can be then.

Hi,

I am new to all of this, I bought a '09 fatboy just before Labor Day.

I need to schedule the 1,000 mile fluid replacement and check-up. Would you request the oils I want to be used at this time or wait until the next mile marker and just do it myself at that time?

Thanks,

Steve

I took Mobil 1 V-twin and Spectro Platinum to the dealer for the 1000 mile and they had no problems installing it. Of course they stock Form + Seems like I remember them even asking what fluids I wanted to use when I made the appointment.

Back