free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

I do mine every season, but I am a fair weather rider. I only get 2500 to 3000 miles a year.

I changed all mine at 600 klms.I really wanted to do it sooner,but just never got around to it.Between work and family and housework and yardwork--

My bike had syn 3 in all spots and i do have to say i was VERY surprised how it came out.It was a honey colour, which indicated from the engine at least,that not much contamination had occured.There was NO fuzz on either the engine or g/box plugs;although a bit on the primary one.Interestingly enough,the oil in the filter was pretty black .

I put Mobil synthetics and F/plus back in.That will do until my first service sometime early next year.My oil and filter changes will be twice a year because my riding is sporadic.

Does anyone see a problem with using 5W-40 syn mobil 1 , this is all I can get for my twin cam and evo in Venezuela , I am not up to buying Hugo Oil

5W-40 is too light for the harley motors. 20/50 would be a better choice even if it wasn't synthetic but made for a V Twin.

I have a 2008 EG… I’m currently changing mine every 3,000 miles because it makes me feel good but the manual says to change it every 5,000 miles. The manual also says that for cold weather starts below 50 degrease Multi-grade 10W40 is excellent and 20W50 is good… I’ve actually read where you get 80 percent of engine wear at start-up. That being said I went down to the Harley shop to buy some 10W40 for the winter. They don’t sell it… At least here in Macon they don’t. They said all they run is 20W50.

The 20/50 true 100% SNy oils are fine for even very cold weather , we run it here in Wisconsin year round I have ridden my bike in temps as low as 0 degrees. And do so often in 35 to 40 degrees. The old standard 20/50 you were luckly if bike would turn over at 30 degrees.

At 40 degrease mine will tap quite a bit at start-up. Just yesterday we stopped at a store after say around 50 or 60 miles to get some coffee it tapped excessively when we started to get back on the road. We were in the store maybe 20 to 30 minutes. Right now I'm running HD 20W50. That's why I thought I needed 10W40 or is something wrong with my bike?

I've not been riding a long time (4 seasons) But since I only ride 5 or 6 months out of the year and the my bike sits in the garage( with an occasional ride if a nice day appears) I was told I should change the oil every season. Was this just another way to get more of my hard earned money from my favorite HD dealership?!?!:small3d031::small3d015::newsmile093:

I've not been riding a long time (4 seasons) But since I only ride 5 or 6 months out of the year and the my bike sits in the garage( with an occasional ride if a nice day appears) I was told I should change the oil every season. Was this just another way to get more of my hard earned money from my favorite HD dealership?!?!:small3d031::small3d015::newsmile093:

How many (est.) miles do you get in the 5 / 6 months of riding??? IMO ---- If your at the "end of your riding" season and have any where from 3 to 5 k on the oil change then yea go ahead and change out.

Back