free website stats program Bike misses and stumbles | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike misses and stumbles

Jeff, I agree with you but would like to know why the OP has a Delphi style fuel pump assembly with the regulator in the tank....there shouldn't be any fuel leaks there. Why not follow that to conclusion before going any further?
I was looking at post#20 where OP wanted to remove tank and check the injector wires. I believe the issue is a result of the bubbles in the tank ie pin holes or the clamp OP referred to.

I am hearing and seeing bubbles in the tank, maybe the return line? When I pulled the fuel assembly out of the tank, the line was still pressured up making me believe that there is no holes or leaking clamp. I was mistaken about the clamp. I did find that there was a regulator like is shown on the 2002 models. The miss has turned into what acts like I am loosing a cylinder for a second.

I am hearing and seeing bubbles in the tank, maybe the return line? When I pulled the fuel assembly out of the tank, the line was still pressured up making me believe that there is no holes or leaking clamp. I was mistaken about the clamp. I did find that there was a regulator like is shown on the 2002 models. The miss has turned into what acts like I am loosing a cylinder for a second.

You should not have bubbles in the tank. When you charge the system you should only hear a faint hum for a couple seconds. IMHO you have pin holes or some type of leak that is causing the bubbles and not creating enough pressure.

Pulled fuel assembly, one of the lines did not have a clamp and came loose when I pulled out of the tank. Don't see any holes in the lines but the loose line was probably causing a pressure drop to the one cylinder. Will update when I put back together!

My mistake, on this model there is a return line. I seem to have a fuel regulator inside the tank like the 2002 models do. Talked to HD they are as confused as I am! The 2001 model has an external regulator. I will take tank off and check fuel injectors with a meter and plug wires and injectors and wires for a fault. I keep hearing from my local dealer that the 2001 injection had lots of problems even suggesting return to a carb bike, but this bike has 70000 miles without serious problems.

Looks like a M-M.

hhmmmmm.......I don't know but have to think there is a different fuel pump assembly w/o the regulator for the pre 2002 M-M set up.

Is the hose w/o the clamp you found Item #18 in Jacks post #23? If so get a clamp on it and try it out.

You did say the bike ran good for 30 miles right?

If that doesn't do it the next easiest/cheapest test is wiggle the injector harness like Jeff said and see if you can make it miss/stumble.

Clamps are on the #18 line. I was wrong about the line coming off, this was the return line I thought hooked up to the regulator in the tank. If it helps I can take a picture of the setup I have in my tank!

stray dog, correct me if I'm wrong but there should not be any bubbles in the tank correct? I've never seen a MC that had bubbles in the gas tank. To me bubbles = a leak.

stray dog, correct me if I'm wrong but there should not be any bubbles in the tank correct? I've never seen a MC that had bubbles in the gas tank. To me bubbles = a leak.

Jeff,
I'm not sure about the M-M system, it has the return line back to the tank which the Delphi doesn't.....would that create the bubbles seen???? I don't know.
I was really thinking the OP was going to come back saying it was equipped with the Delphi!! Maybe this was the wrong rabbit hole! Time to check fuel pressure??

CKP???

Jeff,
I'm not sure about the M-M system, it has the return line back to the tank which the Delphi doesn't.....would that create the bubbles seen???? I don't know.
I was really thinking the OP was going to come back saying it was equipped with the Delphi!! Maybe this was the wrong rabbit hole! Time to check fuel pressure??

CKP???

OP said the regulator was in the tank so that tells me it's a Delph. I don't know I'm confused now!

Back