free website stats program Bike misses and stumbles | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike misses and stumbles

I am new to this site, so thanks for all the help! I have a 2001 RK with fuel injection, the bike has about 70000 miles. I bought the bike 6 months ago and noticed after about 30 miles a slight miss or stutter, cleared up but would notice occasionally it would reappear. This normally happened after the bike was warm, now it runs great for about 5 minutes and starts missing again. There are no mods, fuel filter and pump changed just before I bought it, plugs look good, no codes. Tried testing the intake with WD40 and didn't seem to have any leak. This problem is getting worse to the point I can't ride! Any suggestions?

HD01FLHTC009.gif

Look at part 7 @ 10 and 2 o'clock positions spray some cleaner in the ports see if that makes a change in the way it runs
Welcome to The forum

Give it a oz or 2 of seafoam in a fresh tank of gas, it will clean out the system and your top end.

I will check this when I get off work, just curious shouldn't the engine rev up?

It may sputter a bit and you may need to hold the idle up some, if these ports are gummed up it needs cleaning for sure:s

It may sputter a bit and you may need to hold the idle up some, if these ports are gummed up it needs cleaning for sure:s

Say what? why would you clean the ports with the engine running and suck any debris into the engine?
I suggest you stuff a rag in the throttle body as to not let any junk enter the engine and then spray a cleaner into the ports Jack pointed out in his post. JMHO.

Sprayed cleaner in ports, still doing the same thing. Ran about 4 miles and it started again, stuttering when I accelerate. Thanks for replies!

Start with the basis, check for clean and tight battery connections. New fuel with a oz or 2 of seafoam, check spark plug booths for tightness ect ect. If it's fuel related ie system needs cleaning it may take a bit using a cleaner such as seafoam. Try wiggling your injector wires as well.

Start with the basis, check for clean and tight battery connections. New fuel with a oz or 2 of seafoam, check spark plug booths for tightness ect ect. If it's fuel related ie system needs cleaning it may take a bit using a cleaner such as seafoam. Try wiggling your injector wires as well.

+1
Some of these bikes had the wire harness a bit too tight near the injector plug and the would develop an open in side the/a wire. It seems at times it is like having bad gas and it can be an intermittent problem as the wire touches then opens inside the wire casing. It happened to me and IIRC the rear cyl was usually the culprit.

Back