free website stats program Why do you ride? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why do you ride?

A few years ago I set off on my annual fall trip from PA by myself down the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA into NC and back up through WV. I’ve probably done it 25 times over the years. I loaded my bike into the back of the cargo van I owned at the time which was a big chore. On the way down it started to rain and I wondered if I was getting too old for this and maybe I should cut back. I found a place to park the van at the top of the Parkway and while unloading my bike managed to get a huge splinter in my hand from the loading planks I was using which stayed there for the rest of the trip. I fired up my bike and pulled out of the parking lot. Since it was mid week I had the road to myself. The fall colors were wonderful. I immediately remembered why I have to do this as long as I can.

I had a driving desire from deep within! as a kid to be on a motorcycle! my uncles road harleys, triumphs all over the states, I started on a mini bike and it went up from there until I was 26. I sold two motorcycles to buy a truck and the tools it took to go into buisness for myself, then came kids and life took me away from rideing untill one day a friend of mine ask my wife and I to go for a ride with him and his wife( he had 2 harleys). after about two hours of rideing I turned to my wife and said honey I am home!!! 6 months later I bought my RD King. IT STILL COMES FROM WITHIN!!!

I ride because I'm Stupid!

"Just Kidding" It's the freedom and being closer to nature,The sights and smells and of course there is nothing that sounds like a Harley. And not to mention cracking on that throttle every once in a while to feel that aceleration and exilhiration. And it's challenging like flying a plane, only cheaper"well maybe". And It's also a lot like riding horses. But you don't have to brush your bike and float it's teeth! LOL And I don't have to worry about grammar and spelling when I'm on a Bike.

Because when I ride the world and all it's stupid problems disappear.

I like that time to myself, no phone, no e-mail, no television or radio.... just the sound of the bike and the rushing of the wind. More relaxing that anything I can think of!!

I have been riding most of my life; can't explain it but it also has the added benefit that my wife and I have "it" in common. My wife doesn't nag, she doesn't find me things to do instead of ride, only complains about me riding when she can't go, her bike is louder than mine, and when we were younger and rode two up she never compained about the rear pegs, the weather, the straight pipes, the pillion, or having to pull maintenence enroute along the side of the road.

I ride to free myself of the needless worry and stress of everyday life. I live a very hectic life as a parent, foster parent, adoptive parent and work full time in the public safety business.
Riding gives me an outlet from all that but, I also enjoy simple rides alone through the mountains or farm country that New York affords me.

Give me a curved road and a throttle, sunshine - optional

Back