free website stats program Why do you ride? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why do you ride?

BOBFLHTC

At first glance it may seem like a dumb question but after taking a 3 day trip recently with a neighbor who owns and rides a Harley it became obvious we ride for different reasons.

Safety
When I was younger coming home safe and consistently finding ways to avoid getting run over seemed like a necessary evil and an impediment to the riding experience but more recently I’ve have come to enjoy applying the skills I’ve acquired in 40+ years and coming home safe.

Maintenance
I didn’t always enjoy working on my bike. I didn’t have a garage, the right tools, manuals or temperament for it. I’ve come to the place where I actually enjoy planning and doing the work. Although sometimes the old temperament does rear its head but the accompanying vocabulary is not nearly as salty as in the past.

Traveling
I also enjoy backpacking, canoeing as well as motorcycle touring. I never connected the dots and then one day it dawned on me “you must like to travel”. I love to take long and for the most part unplanned trips as far off the beaten path as possible.

So why do you ride ?

On my own, it's a fantastic way to leave everyday stresses behind and get some good "me" time.

I also love riding with my family and friends to someplace we have never been and seeing this beautiful country of ours. You can't beat the scenery from two (or 3) wheels.

Back