free website stats program Twin Cooled?? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin Cooled??

And that's what paying attention here on the forum will do for you!!

The Ultra Classic is still air cooled w/ oil cooler. The Ultra Limited is twin cooled. Water pump where the oil cooler used to be.

glazier,

I will have to dispute this. On the classic I looked at it was identical to the limited as far as the cooling setup, possibly modified after production, but it was a brand new 2014.

From Cyril Huze, the inner workings of the Twin Cool...

HDTwinCooledbis.jpg

In 2 Pictures. What Is New On The 2014 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited. at Cyril Huze Post Custom Motorcycle News

I finally took a moment to really look at this drawing and something odd occurred to me. It appears that after cooling the exhaust area of the heads, all of the hot coolant is routed to the left radiator. Then warm coolant is routed to the right radiator to reduce the temperature further.

I'm no engineering genius but it seems to me that this will result in your left leg ALWAYS being hotter than your right leg. Maybe HD plans on marketing Rushmore specific jeans and boots that have better insulation for the left half of your body!

glazier,

I will have to dispute this. On the classic I looked at it was identical to the limited as far as the cooling setup, possibly modified after production, but it was a brand new 2014.

Click the link for the Harley website comparing the Classic to the Limited:

Compare Bikes | Harley-Davidson USA

Go down to the bottom under "Engine". It says the Ultra Classic is air cooled with oil cooler and the Ultra Limited is "twin cooled".

Ultra Classic Engine:
Air-cooled, High Output Twin Cam 103™ with integrated oil cooler

Ultra Limited Engine:
Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™

If the link doesn't take you right to the comparison, enter both bikes at the top and then compare.

I am still waiting to see what the future holds with the whole water cooled issue. I guess they have installed in on the top shelf model to make it seem like you are getting something over the lesser glide or are you really???? I guess they have figured out that with the small amount of cooling system that Harley has that a cooling fan is not yet needed. But what about parade mode. It makes no sense to me that with all the marketing of the water cooled system that it is only on one bike. I think not. So I guess the future will tell and like the addition of fuel injection years back this is going to be a much bigger deal.

I guess they have figured out that with the small amount of cooling system that Harley has that a cooling fan is not yet needed. But what about parade mode.

I too was wondering if the twin cooled bikes still have the parade mode on them. Can't imagine why, since the parade mode doesnt kick in until 270* and these liquid cooled heads should never see that high of a temperature. Parade mode on my bike has kicked in on my last two rides but its been close to 100* here. Sure can tell by the sound of the exhaust at a red light. Sounds almost like popcorn popping. I wonder if the baffle I installed on the forks really is restricting air flow over the motor making it run hotter. Dont recall parade mode kicking in before I installed it. Guess I'll take it off and see what happens.

Although my evo bikes do not get too hot i have read many times here of the heat on the right leg from the newer bikes especially from the cat in the header pipe
so with the worst of the heat from the radiator now on the left side both legs will be equally heated

Brian

IMO it will take some engineering to install this thru the Dyna line, Me thinks it will look out of place. I am surprised at it also seeing how the MOCO experiments with the Dyna models all the time

We'll have to get accustomed to looking at a radiator between the front downtubes like on the V Rod. I bet they sneak it in on 1 "SPECIAL" model dyna first then WHAMMO!! They'll all be semi water cooled. Like you said before Jack, as long as the cranks don't explode all over the place!!

Went for a breakfast ride to Rock Springs Cafe with SilverFoXD and Lars this morning and after eating we rode to Scottsdale to see new Indian lineup and the new HD models for 2014. Oddly the Indian Dealer in Scottsdale was closed on Sunday which was shocking to all of us. Never heard of any automotive or motorcycle sales outlet that closes on Sunday in a big city. :shock

No problem though because Scottsdale HD is 3 or 4 blocks from the Indian/Victory Dealer.

WO NELLIE !!! That sticker price is about enough to give me a stroke!!! my wifes new Odyssey EX was only about 2k more!! Good thing it's not a Harley Odyssey she wanted! I don't want to do "dating" again!!

Back