free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

I change mine every 2500 miles with *gasp* Castrol 20w50 car oil. I use an evo filter from HD. It has been fairly successful for me since I have 147k miles with no rebuild or other problem. Your results may vary

Bubba

I had made a mistake on a post before where I had mentioned 5w-40 it i actually 5w-50 M1 SYN and this is the only decent oil in venezuela that is available , although i have some 20w-50 vtwin m1 on the way , would it harm the engine using the 5w50 M1 full syn until I can get the proper oil, dont really want to park the bikes
thanks in advance

Please read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited:
dhorne normaly i would say no way wait on the M1 V-TWIN OIL but after reading about buba's 147k evo that he runs car oil in.....i have no idea lol i duno dhorne
i will say this if you do decide to run the 5w-50 untill your 20w-50 gets there
i would try to stay out of stop and go traffic keep air moving through that motor!

Just wondering about you all out there who bring your bikes for every or some of its services: does your HD dealership object to putting a non-HD oil in if you supply it or are they quite happy to do it?

Kitchener Harley has no problem putting the oils you supply in for you.If I get too busy I get them to change the oil.

I change the engine and primary every 3,000 and the tranny every 6,000. Run Amsoil in all three.

I change all my own oil. Mobil 1 20/50 in engine and primary, spectro 75/140 in my tranny. I like to change the primary about every other time i change the engine oil. I change my engine oil about every 2500mi.. Unless i'm in the middle of a ride somewhere out of state, then i change it when i get home. I'd say change the tranny oil no more than 10k miles, or once a year.

Back