free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

Engine oil & filter at 500, 1,000 and 2,000 miles then every 2,500 miles there after. Tranny and primary annually unless I have reason do otherwise. I am running Mobile 1 in the engine and Spectro in the primary and transmission.

They put what I tell them to or they would not be doing the work.
They have no problem with the oil and lubes I chose.
And they are not HD

I booked my scoot in for its first service today - it's going in next week. I asked about providing Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 for them to use instead of their dino HD oil but was told that this will void the warranty. The dealership's policy is that ONLY HD parts and materials will be used and provided by them - I don't know if that's a local policy or a national one for HD UK or what. Now I can choose between having a big row with them and souring my relationship with the only dealership for many miles (which I would rather not do - and generally they are a nice bunch) or let them do the first service to keep the warranty active and then just drain it off and put in my own Mobil and Spectro. I'll be doing as much of the work as I can myself thereafter.

Any other UK riders asked this question of their dealships and what sort of response did they get?

See several here that run quality syn but change on short intervals less than 3k. Why?

I really like my bike and want it to last. I change out every 2500 or so miles... But what i call an oil change is take about two quarts out, put two quarts in. (i'm sure some of the old oil is still in there) And a new oil filter every 2500 miles. It could be overkill changing synthetic oil that often. But i'd much rather be safe than sorry.

I booked my scoot in for its first service today - it's going in next week. I asked about providing Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 for them to use instead of their dino HD oil but was told that this will void the warranty. The dealership's policy is that ONLY HD parts and materials will be used and provided by them - I don't know if that's a local policy or a national one for HD UK or what. Now I can choose between having a big row with them and souring my relationship with the only dealership for many miles (which I would rather not do - and generally they are a nice bunch) or let them do the first service to keep the warranty active and then just drain it off and put in my own Mobil and Spectro. I'll be doing as much of the work as I can myself thereafter.

Any other UK riders asked this question of their dealships and what sort of response did they get?"

Why not do the fluid changes yourself with your choice of lubes and let them do the balance of the service at a reduced price.

Here's the scene: a dealer won't put in a non-HD oil at the first service and I want to change it as soon as I get it home to Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50. I could make a big fight of it at this stage locally but I like my local dealership and I think they've been told this from higher up the line (so I'll take the issue up with UK HD).

With regard to the the new oil filter (with about 2 miles of use:D) can I:

a) remove it, drain out the oil put in some M V1 and put same back on?

b) just leave it on and accept that there will be a couple of oz.s left inside the filter which will mix with the new fully synth?

c) just throw it away and put new filter and oil in?

I'll be doing future changes myself as well as for Primary and Transmission but I wanted to get the first service on the log book.

Last edited:
Back