free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

I'm a mechanic at a goverment fleet. I've done days of oil reseach. We run synthetic in our emerency vehicles now. But that only happened after we did a few oil analyst. I believe Redline 20/60 HD oil is the best oil for a Harley. It's what I run in the summer. 20/50 in the winter. I've done an oil analist on my bike after 4000 miles and it came back perfect. Chemist said I could have used it for at least another 2000 maybe more. That was after a long hard run through Death Valley last fall (1800 mile trip) I suggest doing an oil analyst on your next oil change, it's the only scientific way to determine what condition your oil is in and how much longer you can run it or if you ran it too long.

Has anyone tried the Royal Purple? I heard it was suppose to work good for a Harley. :cheers
Also I change my oil in the spring and fall, I ride a lot

Of the tests that I have seen over the years, Royal Purple failed big time in the ball bearing test. I was really disappointed! If I recall, Syn 3 even beat it out on this test. Would like to see more oil tests if anyone have 'em. Things change over the years.
Ugly John

I was considering the Royal purple oil until I did some reading on it in oil tests and I agree with what you posted here. I stayed with Mobil 1 V Twin after reading about it.

I just did my second oil change at 4000km. Changed from HD 20/50 to Mobil 1 V Twin. Old school in me still likes to run mineral oils in new motors. Just like not doing the Stage I mods until the first service.

Will change again in 8000km (5000miles) unless I get the urge to do it in another 4000km.

Hi to all of you!!! I change my oil in motor, primary and trans all at the same time with the Sync3 every 5,000Km.

I've only had mine since Oct and I bought it, it already had 2362 miles on it, and I've put just over 2000 more on it since.

I ride about 25-30 miles 3-5 days a week... anywhere from 75-150 miles per week. But that's about 10-15 miles one way with about 5-10 stops depending on traffic and traffic lights. So I don't know has badly that wears down my oil or how often I should change it?

My initial plan is to change every 5k and to use Mobile 1 Synthetic 20W-50 (which I have waiting for my first change in the next month or so, about another 500 miles to go) but would like everyone's opinion?

I've only had mine since Oct and I bought it, it already had 2362 miles on it, and I've put just over 2000 more on it since.

I ride about 25-30 miles 3-5 days a week... anywhere from 75-150 miles per week. But that's about 10-15 miles one way with about 5-10 stops depending on traffic and traffic lights. So I don't know has badly that wears down my oil or how often I should change it?

My initial plan is to change every 5k and to use Mobile 1 Synthetic 20W-50 (which I have waiting for my first change in the next month or so, about another 500 miles to go) but would like everyone's opinion?

With the heat of these engines and the fact that you ride in stop and go traffis I would be changing at 2000-2500 miles not 5000,but that is just my opinion

Back