free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 14 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

this may sound dumb, but what ever happened to oil enpregnated with ptfe {teflon }...........bw

Slick50? Ever look at the bottom of the bottle if you drained it without shaking it. It looks like a liberal coating of sand (teflon) in there. I wouldn't use that in anything. Chances are the first pass through one of these small 5 micron filters would impair oil flow through the filter after that.

this may sound dumb, but what ever happened to oil enpregnated with ptfe {teflon }...........bw

Snake oil, problem with Slick 50 is most engines dont get hot enough for the teflon to do its job, and even if it did I would not want it blocking critical oil passages JMO

I change all the fluid at the Harley recommended intervals. Currently using Amsoil but I'm considering switching to Mobil 1.

Snake oil, problem with Slick 50 is most engines dont get hot enough for the teflon to do its job, and even if it did I would not want it blocking critical oil passages JMO

I LIKE TEFLON and the last two sets of pistons i put into my older bikes were Scream'n Eagle TEFLON pistons.... taking a licking and still ticki'n.....

I liked the look of piston SKIRTS cased in BLACK TEFLON that harley offered...
IS harley still offering the TEFLON pistons???? last TEFLON set I bot were SE 10.25/1 ratio were for my 95" 2000 dyna in about 2002/03?

ALSO knew of an old timer OILER in a lumber mill that did an experiment YEARS ago when SLICK first came out.. USING it straight, burnt out bearings and ONLY when mixed with oil would it lubricate the bearings,,,, HIS findings were that JUST oil worked best..

signed....BUBBIE

I LIKE TEFLON and the last two sets of pistons i put into my older bikes were Scream'n Eagle TEFLON pistons.... taking a licking and still ticki'n.....

I liked the look of piston SKIRTS cased in BLACK TEFLON that harley offered...
IS harley still offering the TEFLON pistons???? last TEFLON set I bot were SE 10.25/1 ratio were for my 95" 2000 dyna in about 2002/03?

ALSO knew of an old timer OILER in a lumber mill that did an experiment YEARS ago when SLICK first came out.. USING it straight, burnt out bearings and ONLY when mixed with oil would it lubricate the bearings,,,, HIS findings were that JUST oil worked best..

signed....BUBBIE

I think there is a huge differance between the teflon coating on pistons , I am all in on this and the teflon in slick 50, that cannot get hot enough to do what they claim it can. My dad always called it mechanic in a can LOL

I have a 98 low rider with stage 3 engine mods - should i change my oil more or less than what the book says? i do weekend rides-100 miles and maybe three trips to/from work during the week - those short trips that are referenced in this thread.

stay safe all

what would be the optimum level to maintain on the oil dipstick? i read that the Cold Fill can be misleading because you run the risk of it being too full at Hot - any experience points

thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
Always add a 1/2 qt less than what is recommended (2 1/2 in yours total) and recheck it when hot to prevent overfilling.

Back