free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 12 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

There's really no need to do it again after the winter if it hasn't been ridden over the winter. If you do the oil and filter, you're OK for riding next season.

They should have recycling for the oil but it's really a waste to do it twice in any event. Keep the oil and use it in your lawn mower :s

They should have recycling for the oil but it's really a waste to do it twice in any event. Keep the oil and use it in your lawn mower :s

I like that!

I took the fossil oil out that the dealership put in at its first service and put in Mobil V twin 20/50. The dealerships in the UK are less compliant about using other brand oils (and they are few and far between) and as I saw this oil coming out with only about 200 miles of use in it, I did think it was a terrible waste and not good for the old environment as it looked so clean. However, the 20/50 V twin is what the bike deserves and I had hunted hard to find some in the UK so it was going in :s.
So is it ok to use the almost new fossil oil in my lawnmower or should I have it disposed of?

Lawn mowers can use either oil fossil or syn without a problem as long as it's the weight that the mower called for.

We have a furnace at the shop that I built years ago to burn used oil.I store our oil and heat the shop most of the winter with it. With a truck that runs 150,000 miles a year and takes 15 quarts at every change I usually don't have any shortage of oil.

When I buy a new bike I change at 100 miles again at 500 and 1000 take it to the stealer for the 1000 mile check up. I ride every day short trips to work and back and long rides every weekend. I change oil every 1500 miles . I know its over kill but with the short rides I think its cheap insurance. At 8000 miles I think ill switch to Gliders oil and run her out longer between oil changes. Please dont yell at me Smitty about the over kill on the oil changes LOL

I use Amsoil 20/50 and HD oil filters. At 4,000 to 5,000 miles I change the filter and top off with oil. At 8,000 to 10,000 miles I change oil and filter.:TEXAS

Back