free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 15 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

Always add a 1/2 qt less than what is recommended (2 1/2 in yours total) and recheck it when hot to prevent overfilling.

I can test to that, My Streetbob likes a bit less than 2.5 quarts on oil changes any more and it likes to spit out the AC:p

this may sound dumb, but what ever happened to oil enpregnated with ptfe {teflon }...........bw

Snake oil, pure and simple.

Among the worst of oil additives. And none of them are good, unless you KNOW something the formulators don't.

Oil is a finely engineered balance that we ought not mess with.

We've come a long way, what Granddad needed to do is no longer valid.

That sludge in Slick 50? Particles larger than the filter will pass. So we know where it ends up, and quickly.

And mechanically or chemically, it just doesn't work that way. As others have pointed out.

If it did, you could buy teflon enhanced cooking oil and nothing would ever stick.

BTW, 5,000 miles or so for the engine, more for tranny and primary. Modern metals, machining, and oils mean we can do it w no risk.

Once at end of season for me. Rode less than 3000 miles this year but want contaminated fluids out for winter storage.

Do you really have to change the oil? I thought with the new Synthetic oils you could just run them for ever. LOL Just kidding.
Living in Nevada I have to change my oil every three to four months as the riding season is all year long. Still change it every 5K like the book says. Just keeping the warranty up to date.

Oil & filter on my EVO every 3000 using dino, on my TC every 3500 using synthetic, do the trans & primary every other change...may be overdoing it but I see it as cheap insurance

2500mi HD std 20w50 w/ .5qt lucas oil stabilizer and black HD filter
5000mi Synergyn SynGear (Syn trans lube)
5000mi HD formula + in the primary

Anyone else put Lucas stabilizer in their oil??

2500mi HD std 20w50 w/ .5qt lucas oil stabilizer and black HD filter
5000mi Synergyn SynGear (Syn trans lube)
5000mi HD formula + in the primary

Anyone else put Lucas stabilizer in their oil??

Nope, good oil has enough additive package already IMO

Back