free website stats program comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

The earlier model EVO's had the vent system from the cases and later the venting was moved to the rocker boxes. I have not seen a hose set up like the one on this bike, but I have a '94 EVO and I have a hose connected to the 2 rocker boxes and run down under the frame with a filter on the end. I'm sure someone here on the forum with an earlier model EVO can give us some info. on how the venting terminated originally.

On my 92 softail the crankcase breather is on the rear of the crankcase and fed to the back of the air box so that the gases would be drawn in through the carb and consumed during combustion
When i replaced the original air box all the available replacements were set up for head breather engines so i cut a short piece of pipe and mounted a filter on the end of it and plugged it into the breather

Brian

Yup....on my 90 I just ran a hose straight down and vent it to open air, no filter. The filters just get oily and it makes it harder to vent through oil soaked media. Been running it like that for years with no harm. Some believe that the motor breathes back through the line on the upstroke of the pistons and a filter is a must have but the breather gear is timed to only open on the pistons downstroke when pressure and blowby build up.

just talked to salesman and you gents hit the nail right on the head. the bike has 60k kilometers or @40,k original miles. they have had the bike for a while but it's not moving due to everyone wanting a new one with twin cams. the guy i talked to (who was highly recommended by a couple people) will let me take the bike for an hour or so with no problem. i told him that i will just show up so i can see the bike start from cold. looks like i going for a 2hr drive in the next few days.:D

The evo bike should be pretty well sorted at that mileage personally i do not like the cv carb on the big twin evo as it suffers a lot from icing in damp conditions and it is almost always damp and in a suitable temp for icing to occur here
But it may work fine wherever you ride it but do enjoy your test ride we will expect a full debrief on how it went

Brian

The evo bike should be pretty well sorted at that mileage personally i do not like the cv carb on the big twin evo as it suffers a lot from icing in damp conditions and it is almost always damp and in a suitable temp for icing to occur here
But it may work fine wherever you ride it but do enjoy your test ride we will expect a full debrief on how it went

Brian

thanks Brian. i will definitely let you know how it went with the ride. looks like it won't be until next week that i get up there. but all sounds very promising

The CV carb was introduced on the 1988 model big twins. It's possible this bike was retrofitted, but Lorne will have to let us know.

Man you have us all on the edge of our seats Lorne! :D Can't wait to hear how she runs. :)

I just change all three holes this morning on my old Evo Softail. Always a good feeling to take that first ride on fresh oil! Already 105 degrees here at noon. Summer is here in AZ. :s

looking forward to it myself..the reason i am waiting until next week is i want to see if i can sell the wife's car (that she doesn't know i bought) this week end. the sales guys i have talked to say there is no way they can change the price as that is what they have into it. but cash talks...

here is a photo of the wifes car 1980 450SL under 100k and everything works. if i dont sell i am still going to have a serious look and with luck make a deal if it is worth it

Attachments

• DSCN0461.jpg
    DSCN0461.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0514.jpg
    DSCN0514.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0519.jpg
    DSCN0519.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 14
Back