free website stats program comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

lorne

well although i am still planning on bringing up my 98 softail i did find something very interesting. 1987 FLHTC my question (or request) please give me some input as the the quality and possible problems i could run into. the bike as far as anyone seems to know is completely stock (not sure about the pipes). there is 40 k kilometers on the clock buy as the guy said that could be 140 k. the story is an older couple (yea like us i guess) traded it in on a trike and the sales guy thought that they hadn't ridden in a while. the shop has gone through it and they see no issues with the bike. there is no leaky gaskets and everything is tight on it.

any and all comments good or bad would be appreciated. i hope to go see it this week but don't want to drive 2hr to look at a lemon.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 138
From the looks of it, my first impression is that it appears like someone took care of it. If they took the time to maintain it's appearence, it is probably a safe gamble that the mechanical side of things were treated with the same regard. Nice looking classic that I wouldn't be embarrassed to call mine. I am meticulous about my bikes both mechanically and appearance wise and that one looks like it could be in my stable. I'd say it'll be worth looking into at the very least.
WAP.gif

From the looks of it, my first impression is that it appears like someone took care of it. If they took the time to maintain it's appearence, it is probably a safe gamble that the mechanical side of things were treated with the same regard. Nice looking classic that I wouldn't be embarrassed to call mine. I am meticulous about my bikes both mechanically and appearance wise and that one looks like it could be in my stable. I'd say it'll be worth looking into at the very least.
WAP.gif

thanks it kind of took my eye (and thoughts) most are looking at a newer bike but this old classic looks to be taken care of as you say.

thanks for the comments

I don't know anything about the mechanical side of things, so I'll leave those comments to the guys a lot smarter than me to answer those. But had to chime in, that is one beautiful looking bike. I love the color. You have to think that anyone that would take care of the outside of the bike that good, would probably take care of the inside that good as well.

lorne, one thing to note when you go to see it and would be one of my concerns would be dry rot on the tires if it's been sitting for a long time. Although a tire could appear to be in great condition, our minds eye always looks first to the tread depth remaining and assume it's good. Closer inspection to the sidewalls and near the bead seat is necessary on any older bike. A quick peek at remaining brake lining would be in order as well. Then if you're allowed to take it for a test drive, drivability issues or any funny noises would be obviuosly what to focus on. If all checks out, I'd go ahead and make an offer on it.

I agree Loren, from the pic it looks like it was taken care of and I like the color. If the price is right it might be worth picking up.

Nice looking bike, take notice of the belt, how does the clutch feel, and look for signs of oil leaks at the rear rocker box

thanks guys all good advice.

was there much of a change in the evo from 1987 until the 90's?

There were a few issues with the late 80's evo's, but that bike either didn't have them or they have been fixed by now. It probably has quite a few miles left in it. For the right price (which I doubt the dealer is asking) it would be a good addition. Keep in mind, it's primitive compared to new touring bikes.

Back