free website stats program comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

That is how they have the air cleaner vented, bet there is a small filter at the end of that tube:s

ok but why? is this a mod, something H.D. recommended as a quick fix for a problem? or something else? what if the filter is not there?

The earlier model EVO's had the vent system from the cases and later the venting was moved to the rocker boxes. I have not seen a hose set up like the one on this bike, but I have a '94 EVO and I have a hose connected to the 2 rocker boxes and run down under the frame with a filter on the end. I'm sure someone here on the forum with an earlier model EVO can give us some info. on how the venting terminated originally.

On my 92 softail the crankcase breather is on the rear of the crankcase and fed to the back of the air box so that the gases would be drawn in through the carb and consumed during combustion
When i replaced the original air box all the available replacements were set up for head breather engines so i cut a short piece of pipe and mounted a filter on the end of it and plugged it into the breather

Brian

Yup....on my 90 I just ran a hose straight down and vent it to open air, no filter. The filters just get oily and it makes it harder to vent through oil soaked media. Been running it like that for years with no harm. Some believe that the motor breathes back through the line on the upstroke of the pistons and a filter is a must have but the breather gear is timed to only open on the pistons downstroke when pressure and blowby build up.

The earlier model EVO's had the vent system from the cases and later the venting was moved to the rocker boxes. I have not seen a hose set up like the one on this bike, but I have a '94 EVO and I have a hose connected to the 2 rocker boxes and run down under the frame with a filter on the end. I'm sure someone here on the forum with an earlier model EVO can give us some info. on how the venting terminated originally.

On my 92 softail the crankcase breather is on the rear of the crankcase and fed to the back of the air box so that the gases would be drawn in through the carb and consumed during combustion
When i replaced the original air box all the available replacements were set up for head breather engines so i cut a short piece of pipe and mounted a filter on the end of it and plugged it into the breather

Brian

Yup....on my 90 I just ran a hose straight down and vent it to open air, no filter. The filters just get oily and it makes it harder to vent through oil soaked media. Been running it like that for years with no harm. Some believe that the motor breathes back through the line on the upstroke of the pistons and a filter is a must have but the breather gear is timed to only open on the pistons downstroke when pressure and blowby build up.

thanks guys....that helps explain a lot to me. now i feel comfortable with what i am looking at.

thanks again this was just what i was looking for

The photo showing the right footboard and brake pedal looked like they were in excellent shape so I sincerely doubt it has anymore than the 40k on it.

Also if you do eventually end up with it, it's most important to be planning out a period outfit to wear while riding her. Maybe something like Marlon Brando :D wore in the Wild Ones! Marlorne Brando!

Good luck with your seach man:) she really is a looker!

Also if you do eventually end up with it, it's most important to be planning out a period outfit to wear while riding her. Maybe something like Marlon Brando :D wore in the Wild Ones! Marlorne Brando!

Good luck with your seach man:) she really is a looker!

sorry it took so long to reply, had to explain to my sister in-law why i was laughing so hard....after a bit of explaining about this bunch here she got it....now i have to go buy her more wine because she dropped the rest with that picture in here head.....:p

Well you know how it is, sometimes ya just gotta "take the shot" :D

...i am still learning how to do that......:newsmile036:
seems i start a thread and then everyone picking on that guy with the camera;;;his name escapes me right now....:newsmile036:

Back