free website stats program comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

comments please on a 1987 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

There were a few issues with the late 80's evo's, but that bike either didn't have them or they have been fixed by now. It probably has quite a few miles left in it. For the right price (which I doubt the dealer is asking) it would be a good addition. Keep in mind, it's primitive compared to new touring bikes.

thanks Breeze any idea what the issues were? as far as the price, for being in B.C. it is not to terrible compared to what else is out there. at least up here i will have a shop to do some tinkering on it when needed.

one thing if you zoom into the photo. what is with the line that looks like it is coming out of the breather?

thanks Breeze any idea what the issues were? as far as the price, for being in B.C. it is not to terrible compared to what else is out there. at least up here i will have a shop to do some tinkering on it when needed.

one thing if you zoom into the photo. what is with the line that looks like it is coming out of the breather?

here is a better photo..

Attachments

• IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 58
Lorne; I think that line is from the case breather/vent to the air cleaner. I can't see it well, but looks like it may have 2 lines plumbed. On a 26 year old bike, no telling what latest and greatest mods were done. As for issues with the '87, I can't accurately remember what years had which problems. some of the late 80 to early 90 issues were soft primary pulley splines, bad primary locking nuts and clips. etc. Most of the issues were not major and would have already appeared and been updated (I think). Look at the base of the cylinders and base of rocker boxes for oil leaks.

Reading my copy of Donny Petersen's "Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide to HD (for the EVO)" he states that 1987 was the first year for making a one-piece left flywheel and shaft assembly. This gave a better flywheel trueness and less vibration since the sprocket shaft and left side sprocket (power) flywheel became one. Said to be a great improvement in rider comfort and engine longevity.

Nice looking bike. :D

thanks Tank...good information

Lorne; I think that line is from the case breather/vent to the air cleaner. I can't see it well, but looks like it may have 2 lines plumbed. On a 26 year old bike, no telling what latest and greatest mods were done. As for issues with the '87, I can't accurately remember what years had which problems. some of the late 80 to early 90 issues were soft primary pulley splines, bad primary locking nuts and clips. etc. Most of the issues were not major and would have already appeared and been updated (I think). Look at the base of the cylinders and base of rocker boxes for oil leaks.

thanks Breeze...yea it's the 2 plumbed lines that has me scratching my head.. wish i was in that good at shape when i was 26

the rest of the photos that i have

Attachments

• IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_13731.JPG
    IMG_13731.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 43
I'm thinking we can give it a good run ( test) by handing it off to one another till it gets back down to Texas:D

Yep, grab it. Worse case scenario, you'll learn about the bike, fix it, make it better and ride it like you stole it...........gently.

Good Luck

She is a looker!!! :D

I'm thinking we can give it a good run ( test) by handing it off to one another till it gets back down to Texas:D

Yep, grab it. Worse case scenario, you'll learn about the bike, fix it, make it better and ride it like you stole it...........gently.

Good Luck

going to go up thursday or saturday...to have a look at the old girls and see if they will let me have for an hour or so. i think they will, everyone wants a new one at the dealer ship and this one is not moving due to her age. i like the old girls more, you just need to look after them and they will look after you ....:newsmile036:

Find a good old one and they will be keepers. My old 1995 isn't as old but she is a keeper. Good luck Lorne! Hope she checks out good. :D

thanks...i have been looking but the 90 evo's up here are priced way to high as to what i am use to. that is what i was looking for when i found this one... really would love to have a 98 anniversary..but maybe next time...:p

Back