free website stats program Calling all 2007 Nightster owners! | Page 13 | Harley Davidson Forums

Calling all 2007 Nightster owners!

Greetings from Wisconsin.
I purchased my new nightster on 08.08.08 and have been more in love with it every single day.
I happend to see one cruise by my office one day and was so taken aback that i had to look it up, I knew it was a Harley from the engine, went to the web site and BAMM (thanks Emeril) There is was.
I wasn't in the market for a new bike, but I had to go and check it out, one test ride later and I was hooked.
I got the Orange one.
Every time I stop for gas or cruise around downtown, i have a ton of people asking me what it is, and commenting on how nice it is, when i say to them..."Its stock" they are shocked.
such a great bike and my first Harley at that.
I happened across you guys while i was looking for some maintanince specs, I love this site, helpful members and very well run.
I look forware to being part of your community

hi folks I have 2008 nightster in black and am loving it I ride in all weathers and have recently noticed some staining on the gray parts of the engine i have tried to wash them off but to no avail has anyone got any suggestions cheers

Hello All, :bigsmiley6:
I happen to have one of these little sporty's and I do like it...most of the time. This is the first Harley I ever owned and from what I have learned about the company itself, it will be the last.
Opposite to what sounds like I hate it, I do like my bike when it is running. I have a 2007 Nightster and I added the V&H Short Shots like many others because it looks so nice. I also added the V&H FuelPak and a hyper charger. It is fast, rumbles with the best of them and still gets me about 45-50 mpg. The throttle response is whiplash-like and surprises many as I zoom on by.
The one thing I hate about it though is it is rusting to beat all. Every piece of chrome on it is rusting. Actually, everything is rusting, not just chrome. I keep it in a sealed, insulated, weather-proof shed. The only thing I have not done is install a dehumidifier in the shed because nothing else is working. The spokes are rusting. The pushrod tubes are rusting. Along with the forward controls, the shift linkage, the headlight, the brake handles, the rear wheel bolt, every bolt for that matter, and anything else that is not painted. Harley chrome sucks. Even the aluminum rocker boxes are corroding.
So, like I said, when it is running, I like it. I am just systematically taking one piece off at a time and painting it. Harley warranty is a joke. You get better response from the government after a hurricane! They told me they would replace one piece of chrome over the life if the vehicle. For those of you that have not dealt with Harley "customer service" that means they will replace one SPOKE, not the one wheel that is rusting! Or, I can get one bolt or one exhaust replaced. profanity followed that point for about the next three months, but I am better now...
Does anyone else have this problem? I cannot make the rusting stop. I wipe it down after every ride, yes, I live in Florida, but I live dead smack in the middle of the state, 100 miles each direction to the ocean, so I do not think salt water is causing this. I keep it inside all the time, but it will not stop rusting. Harley has replaced the entire electrical system (when it is running...), I have gotten three new batteries because they (according to Harley) had a bad lot of batteries, and the fuel pressure regulator just toasted out on it a month or two ago.
If anyone has any pointers of what to do (outside of get another bike) let me know. I do like this one. It looks great and it is a riot to ride; quick, nimble and snappy are its best traits. That, plus nobody will buy it, so I am stuck with it and I want to be able to keep it after the payments are done and not sweep up the rust dust from where it was in the shed! Anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Red

I agree with The Hobbit. I think you've got something else going on there.
When you say you keep it stored inside a shed.....what else do you have stored in there along with it?
Chemicels? Fertilizer? Lawn treatment solutions?
Rotting grass under the lawn mower deck?
And, how is the ventilation in the shed?
....just throwing things out there that will cause and have caused corrosion.
What you are saying is not normal, without outside influences.

Thank you Hobbit,
I was out there last night, playing with the beast. As I was cleaning it, I noticed that there is a lot of paint flaking off too. Now I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I cleaned off as much rust as I could and sprayed it down with WD-40 and as I was cleaning the brake caliper, I noticed the paint was coming off from there. Also, the rear fender rail on the sides; the paint is coming off that too.
Is there something I could be doing to cause this? Like I said, Harley will not give me the time of day, so these kind of forums are all I have. Thanks for your response and help. I appreciate it.

Red

Hobbit,
You are right. It should not be this bad. I already tried that though. I talked to my dealer, the one I bought it from, and they told me I must be abusing it! I emailed Harley in Milwaukee and sent them pictures and they told me they cover chrome (one piece) not paint.
I keep the bike in a shed with my tools. There is not any chlorine, salt, bleach, pool supplies or anything else that could aid in the corrosion. I clean it with Harley bike wash and wax it with Harley Pig Snot. I only buy those two because I did not want anything to screw up the warranty. Fat lot of good that did. All it got me was Harley calling me a liar!
Oh well, Like I said, since my warranty is useless, I am taking one piece off the bike at a time and getting it painted to try and stop this. On a side not, Harley lost a customer. Thanks for your time and help. I appreciate it.

Red

hello all! ive been gone awhile...putting miles on my scooter ( 07 nightster). 9000 total. well just to recap my year ive added v&h side shots ( black), strutted my rear end ( shocks are for weiners), removed my left turn light and installed a 1930 model-A tail lamb on a homebuilt license plate holder ( awesome). i decided to keep my mids since im going for the old school look. next winter im going to cut the frame in half and make it a real rigid. i guess in short im going for the custom rat bike look. im trying to disassociate myself from harley davidson. im discusted with there company and there dealerships. dont get me wrong i love my bike. i havnt had any problems...yet. i do feel my clutch getting a little weak recently but ive been riding the crap out of it.
i did gease my fuse block and had it remapped with the se air filter kit and se slip ons. when i installed the sideshots my exhaust valves were white. so im still a little lean but theres only a minimal poping on deceleration. anyways...hopefuly ill get some updated pics in here you you all.

frankenchoky :cheers

Sitting up here in the Great White North (Canada) enduring yet another snowstorm.

My 07 Nightster was purchased shortly after the debut in Florida when I went to the dealer and ordered one sight unseen. They only made the olive drab and black the first year and I have not yet seen another so most people ask if it was a custom build. As for problems I have had none and she is a reliable, solid, and very quick machine.

Looking to getting back on the road in April or so if the snow ever goes away.

Fuzz

Back