free website stats program 5th gear noise | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear noise

whine what whine ? just turn the tunes up and louder exhust... some rock and roll and thumping exhust fix everything

Well there ya go. I like the front wheel on the 09 models!:D

Well, I don't know what that means, walleye.

I like the front wheel on my bike, too. It's the tire attached to the wheel that is the problem, even though I'm not losing sleep over it.

Just how many miles do you have on your front tire? Which tire do you have? When you look at the front tire from the front, is the Y in the tire grove upright, or is the Y in the opposite direction? Is it, I believe, the 407 tire or the 408?

I've read about the tire issues from day one when I got my 09 and for a long time, I didn't see the problem. I have talked with the service guys about sensing more vibration from the front wheel, as compared to the 07 RK, I had previously. I do check my pressures regularly.

At 10 K the problems is very obvious. This was after almost 28 K on the RK front tire, with miles left. I haven't changed my riding style only now I'm on a bit heaver bike. The tire is cupped badly. It's not my imagination, it's not my opinion, it's something I can see clearly. So, either there is a problem with the front suspension or the tire is inferior.

Now I presume we could get in a debate about "inferior oils" but since I'm not a chemist, nor do I have access to a laboratory, anything I could say about a particular oil, pro or con, would be strictly opinion with no factual basis.

That's kind of like saying my bike runs "cooler" after this or that mod. I say give me before and after temps in identical conditions,. Then how many degrees are we talking about? Is it 50 degrees less or is it 5? Or is it just my imagination? Give me some data.

My tire being cupped badly is fact, I can show you.
:USA

Well guys, here is the continuing saga of the 5th gear problem with my 09 Ultra. The dealer was no help and while I was driving the bike back home after the 1000mi service, I got to thinking about the Syn3 they put in the engine, clutch and transmission. This is nuts! No lube can do all of these things well. Something that works in the engine can't be great in the transmission or clutch so I took the bike that afternoon to a local shop in my hometown and had the guy redo the service with Amsoil. Holy cow! What a difference. The 5th gear noise has been reduced to an acceptable level ( it no longer drowns out the radio) and the transmission shifts much better. It may be my imagination but the engine seems to like it also. Now all I am left with is a slight rattle in either the trans or the top end at around 50/55 mph. I have still not ruled out the fix offered by Baker but at least the trans doesn't sound like it is going to come unglued. I have owned Harleys for over thirty years but they may have crossed the line on this one. 2010 is just around the corner and I can spell Honda. Oh......... I can't believe I said that!

From this:
Well guys, here is the continuing saga of the 5th gear problem with my 09 Ultra. The dealer was no help and while I was driving the bike back home after the 1000mi service, I got to thinking about the Syn3 they put in the engine, clutch and transmission. This is nuts! No lube can do all of these things well. Something that works in the engine can't be great in the transmission or clutch so I took the bike that afternoon to a local shop in my hometown and had the guy redo the service with Amsoil. Holy cow! What a difference. The 5th gear noise has been reduced to an acceptable level ( it no longer drowns out the radio) and the transmission shifts much better. It may be my imagination but the engine seems to like it also.

To this:
Yes it is now on ebay. It will be a great buy for somebody.

All in only 12Hrs.What changed?:D

Well, I don't know what that means, walleye.

I like the front wheel on my bike, too. It's the tire attached to the wheel that is the problem, even though I'm not losing sleep over it.
My tire being cupped badly is fact, I can show you.
:USA

Buddy:
Me bad! I was just replying thinking you like others did not like the 09 front wheel. Was not aware of your issues, and certainly not challenging you on them. I guess I did not read all the thread carefully. Anyway, I have the Dunlop D407 and the Y is just like the way this types it "Y" when looking at it. I have 3500+ miles and no probs so far. As far as oil, I use Mobil One in the crank and in my past bikes I have seen 15-20 degrees drop. Have not had this bike long enuff or in hot enuff weather to offer an opinion, although I expect the same. I use HD Primary oil and Spectro 6 Speed in my tranny. I use the Spectro on the advice of people here I totally trust, and I have seen the syn 3 results. All likely acceptable, but I believe there are better options and the noise reduction is by too many to be a imagination. SO: IMHO, most all oil is acceptable but I like my setup just fine. 6 Speed Spectro for tranny (quieter), Mobil One full syn in crank (cooler) and HD Primary. Works for me. Ride safe brother. :D

Believe it or not, this is not a pitch about Amsoil, in fact, I had never heard of the stuff until I started reading about this fith gear thing. First, all of this did take place in less than 24 hrs. and while the Amsoil made things better, it did not "fix" the 5th gear. It just reduced the noise to an acceptable level. The point is most of the posts refer to this as a whine. Mine was a roar that nobody would have tolerated. So, after looking at the alternatives suggested by this site, I concluded that just putting on louder pipes, using another brand of lubricant or simply just tolerating the racket because Harley says its normal just wasn't an alternative for me. I believe the Baker F6F kit would solve the problem but I am opposed to spending another $1000 on a badly designed transmission. All the best to you guys who buy the Harley straight cut gear (EDIT) but I am out of the bagger business. My Heritage awaits patiently in the garage.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back