free website stats program 5th gear noise | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear noise

Mr stumpknocker will be rethinking his use of language after two warnings for a while THIS time.

My goodness, that was certainly an expensive road test. I admit, I'd never ridden a Harley of any kind before buying the 07 RK but never regretted the decision to buy. I asked about the fifth gear noise and accepted the explanation, it never really bothered me, once I knew the cause.

Before buying my Ultra, I rented a couple just to see how I would like one. I liked the ride and like the 09 chassis a lot. It has the fifth gear noise, too but it doesn't bother me. When I hear the noise, I know for a little while I'm free and riding to parts unknown or Hooters, either way is OK. Life is good!
:USA

noise just lets me know for sure what gear im in if mind is wondering witht he great ride :) think harley planned it that way

Buddy:
Me bad! I was just replying thinking you like others did not like the 09 front wheel.

You know actually, I don't have the stock front wheel on my 09, I have the chrome lace rims. I wasn't sure I would like them but I do. Now as for the tire.:devil

In the guys defense, I think Amsoil makes a very good product. I use it in all three holes. 20/50 vtwin in engine and primary and 75/110 in the tranny. It did quiet the whine to the point where I can barely hear it. I do not sale Amsoil nor do I try to push it on anyone. This is just my honest opinion just as many on the forum really talk up Spectro. To each his own.

Hey Smitty, I agree the marketing stratagies are aggrevating to say the least. That is another reason this is the only forum I am a member of, they are not tolerated here. Everyone is free to give their opinions but not to try to push things on the other members. I would much prefer to be able to run down to the part store to pick up my oil and who knows, I may even switch to mobil1 vtwin. My problem with spectro is the same with amsoil, it is not available in my area. I will have to order it online and it costs more.

you guys should check you drive belts ,if the winning sounds like a supercharger on a car i will adjust the drive belt it may help it help my friend hd

I have been following this thread closely. My '09 Ultra suffers from the same 5th gear whine as others. I can get used to this whine as it is not overbearing but barely acceptable. But mine also has a huge whine in 1st gear that is so loud when its hot that my friend who had his ear drums blown out in Nam says its so loud when I ride next to him in 1st that all he hears is my 1st gear whine. This whine happens when on or off throttle. When I mention Spectro 6 at my dealer they said they never heard of using it so I'm a bit reluctant to use it because of warrantee stuff. Two mechanics at Downtown Harley in Seattle swear this is normal, but it actually hurts my ears. I'm at a loss of what to do other than insist on a factory rep to look at it. I also get some clutch chatter (I think warped disk) but dealer denies there is a problem. This is my 3rd Harley (so I'm not a novice when it comes to Harley's) and out of the bunch it is far worse noise wise than my Shovel or Evo ( I like loud pipes but this is not that). It is unacceptable so flame away if you wish. I'll be looking at the Washington State lemon law if it is not taken care of. I just don't know how to get the dealer to take care of a problem they will not acknowledge. This (EDIT)

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoggy25, put in SPECTROL or REDLINE or BELRAY 6 Speed Gear Oil...it is only $10-15 and a bit of time to lean or jack the bike up straight, drain and refill and run for 1000 miles. Action in this case is a lot better than sitting back and waiting for it to get better.:coffee

What can it hurt and if it helps isn't your piece of mind worth it. Sounds like cheap insurance to me! Add to the fact that you did the fix yourself and did it right. Get the manual, use the Self Help tips at the top and your will be happy...trust me on this. :D

Back