free website stats program 5th gear noise | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear noise

Hard to believe a reputable dealer has never heard of Spectro fluids! Wishful thinking is more like it. They wish it didn't exist so nobody would ask about it and they wouldn't have to resort to scaring people about voiding their warranty.

Spend 5 minutes searching on this forum and you will see that it does NOT void your warranty. Keep all receipts and records of anything you do to the bike yourself and you're fine. They have to prove that whatever you did specifically caused the damage to your bike. Spectro for 6 speeds is so superior to HD stuff they'd never even try.

Thanks and I am well quailified to do my own work. I just don't want to chance giving HD an excuse when things get messy about warrantee. I also apologize for breaking language rule. I don't really remember what exactly I said but will be much more careful how I phrase or say things here.

I had the Baker F6F kit installed because the six speed transmission in "my" Ultra was unacceptable as it came from Harley. My transmission roared to the point you could not hear the radio. $1200 later the transmission is the way it should have come from Harley. It is smooth, tight, doesn't rattle and roar and I can hear the radio. Shame on Harley.

I've had an 09 electra standard for 3 months now and have 6900 miles on it. The 1st and mostly the 5th gear scared me at first. After they have run in for a while it makes much less noise now! Or am I just used to it?

Didn't read every post used to think Glider might be a salesman for Spectro.. (teasing) Have 1,000 miles on Spectro 6 Speed now and trust has truly toned it down I can still hear a slight difference in the pitch of the straight gear as compared to a helical but is about 10% as loud as it used to be.. Highly recommend Spectro.. Is nice to be able to read the Red oil on the Tranny Stick too..

It sounds like you are pushing Spectro too now :s
I only recommend things that I have used and see they work much better than other products and are superior in other ways also.

That's one thing I never mentioned about being able to see the oil better on the dipstick.

My complaint isn't with 5th gear so much as with 1st gear. 1st gear is about 3x louder than 5th. I really think it's a bearing. Going to try and video record it as proof. Not sure how I'm going to hold or mount the video cam but I will figure out a way. Will see what HD has to say after seeing/hearing it. Trouble is my video cam is one of the high def models and I have not figured a way to put it on disc yet in a normal play mode.

I have a 09 Ultra and I can tell when I am 5th gear if I really try and hear the small whine. I always have the tunes on and I had heard of the issue before I bought. Never heard of a failure , so I ride and I dont "whine" about it. Best bike I ever rode. Running Hd oils which I put in at 1k , now at 3.5k and will switch brands at next oil change. Maybe I am just lucky , mine is just not a big deal.
T

:newsmile100: First short trip on 09 UC, maybe 200 miles on it, I thought I broke it, 5th gear whine, I figured I got hammered with the extended warranty, im going to ride it , till it blows up. Seems to have become better with time.
Turn up the music, add gas , if its isnt making noise somewhere its broke.

Back