free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

I had the 1K service done today, I had 4 qts mobile 1 syn and 2 quarts of spectro 6-speed in the saddle bag I asked them to use the mobile for the engine and specto for the tranny. When I got home noticed had 1 qt of mobile left and no spectro. They explained when I caled them that my 96B only takes 3 qt oil (not what manual says) and they put the spectro in both primary and trans. Well makes me wonder is the spectro in primary going to cause a problem? Engine Oil level is full but did they use mine or put theres in it, guess this is last service at the dealer wanted to buy a lift anyway

My '09 EG takes 3.2 litres (approx. 3.4 qts) to be full when hot, so they are in the ballpark for your engine. I looked at Spectros website and they don't mention the 6-speed oil as being for use in the primary, but do mention it in their Heavy Duty 20W-50synthetic engine oil description. I'd contact Spectro directly or just change it to the 20W-50 or their Primary oil just to feel comfortable.

Read through all 12 pages here. My shop manual for a 2008 Road King says if adding oil that is NOT Harley's super duper stuff, it should be diesel oil- I quote the service manual: "If it is necessary to add oil and Harley-Davidson oil is not available, use an oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable diesel engine oil designations include: CF-4, CG-4 and CI-4." Then it goes into viscosities.

I have read the labels on most of the engine oils discussed here and have found no diesel specs listed. I originally used Mobil 1 15-50 automotive oil and was quite happy until I found the diesel requirement. There is only one oil I could find that had both the diesel spec and the viscosity range needed. Automotive oils with 20-50 viscosity are easy enough to find, diesel oils with 20-40 viscosity are easy to find, but only the 15-50 oil I'm using now has the desired viscosity range AND the diesel spec.

How important is that diesel spec? I'd go back to either Mobil 1 or Mobil V twin if the diesel spec is not important. Your recommendation of Spectro 6 speed for the tranny is quite convincing. I will give it a try.

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Can you guys tell me exactly what Spectro oil to get for the engine, tranny and primary? And if you would please, should I use the HD oil filter or another brand of filter? Thank you in advance.

Great site!

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Can you guys tell me exactly what Spectro oil to get for the engine, tranny and primary? And if you would please, should I use the HD oil filter or another brand of filter? Thank you in advance.

Great site!

Hd oil filter and these are the oils. (somebody isn't reading) :D

SPECTRO_PRICE.jpg

Looked at the dealer listing from Spectro oils site. The problem I have run into is the dealers in this area dont have anything in stock. I really wanted to try this oil, but availability is a concern of mine now, especially when your on the road, not that you can't change, but most of the time you would like to put the same oil back in the motor. I guess I could order online, but sure would be nice to get this local. I live in Houston,Tx. Does anyone in this area know of a retailer ?

Kyle.

Just a note to all looking for Spectro products. It took me a while to find first a distributor in Canada and then a local retailer. Upon contacting the local retailer was told they do not stock but would bring in for me. The distributor informed me that they would supply oil in any quantity I wanted to the retailer so.. no obligation to buy by the case. This was confirmed by the retailer when I phoned to place an order. I have to say I am impressed with the willingness to take care of my needs by these guys.
Sounds like this is going to be a great product and very good customer service.

Just a note to all looking for Spectro products. It took me a while to find first a distributor in Canada and then a local retailer. Upon contacting the local retailer was told they do not stock but would bring in for me. The distributor informed me that they would supply ol in any quantity I wanted to the retailer so.. no obligation to buy by the case. This was confirmed by the retailer when I phoned to place an order. I have to say I am inpressed with the willingness to take care of my needs by these guys.
Sounds like this is going to be a great product and very good customer service.

How about posting the location?

Back