free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

A petroleum based gear lubricant with advanced synthetic technology that incorporates the highest shear stability viscosity index improvers to withstand the shearing action of primary chain drives and transmission gears.

I found this statement on Iron Pony and Bobs in reference to the gear lube - thus why I went for this product - It appears not to be correct per the Spectro web site :(

From post #1 ... "Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil
Designed by Spectro in response to complaints from Harley owners about the great but noisy new 6-speed transmission, this full synthetic provides ultimate lubrication protection. Formulated to significantly reduce gear noise and provide easier, smoother shifting, this SAE 75w140 which is red in color with a formulation to ease shifting even when cold. High loads and extreme heat do not affect the oil, so it performs well when pushed hard and long. A.P.I. GL-5 rated.
The GL1 is for the 5 speed transmissions and is green in color to distinguish it from the GL 5."

Does anyone know if it also meets API MT-1, MIL-L-2105D, or SAE J2360?
It would also be nice to know how well it performed in testing, ASTM D-6121-06 for example. The Spectro website had very limited information.

From post #1 ... "Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil
Designed by Spectro in response to complaints from Harley owners about the great but noisy new 6-speed transmission, this full synthetic provides ultimate lubrication protection. Formulated to significantly reduce gear noise and provide easier, smoother shifting, this SAE 75w140 which is red in color with a formulation to ease shifting even when cold. High loads and extreme heat do not affect the oil, so it performs well when pushed hard and long. A.P.I. GL-5 rated.
The GL1 is for the 5 speed transmissions and is green in color to distinguish it from the GL 5."

It would also be nice to know how well it performed in testing, ASTM D-6121-06 for example. The Spectro website had very limited information.

I don't know if Spectro meets the test requirements you are quoting,but of all the trans. fluids I have tried in my bike it is the only one I trust to put back in it at each fluid change:s

Only an oil salesman would ask those questions :D

Hope you aren't one of those.

Only an oil salesman would ask those questions :D

Hope you aren't one of those.

I am not a salesman of any kind and I'm offended by the accusation.

I am a research and development technician, so I enjoy scientific data as much or more than opinions when it comes to finding the best products available. I would think based on the initial post that you were a Spectro saleman, but as the thread has developed, I'm not too sure now.

I was hoping that someone had found some test data showing the advantages of Spectro over others since this thread favors it. I've checked Spectro's website, but the FAQs section has been down lately.

It is my understanding that a GL-5 rating indicates that the requirements of MIL-L-2105D (formerly MIL-L-2015C), MIL-PRF-2105E and SAE J2360 have been met.

It is also my understanding that API MT-1 relates to non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks.

If it is specific test results you are seeking, maybe an email to Spectro can provide you the info.

I think Mr. Data was just trying to feel you out - he is a "TOUGH" moderator and runs a tight ship -

With that said, I'm not a mind reader but I am guessing that Smokintoad is in the same boat I was in and couldn't find much information on Spectro to do a comparison to other oils -It just isn't easy to find data to compare it to other products, be it Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, Syn3 or Redline - To be honest I even found two of the vendors that were recommeded were misleading on their sales - they lead me to believe they had a synthetic blend primary fluid which I found out they did not. I have also not seen anything on the web that says Spectro is better than ANY other oil - the only thing that came close was Amsoil white paper but that was comparing Spectro blend not the Spectro ful synthetic - so that wasn't helpful - So I feel your frustration.

So before I get flamed , Do I like Amsoil yes it is what I run in my bike because it was less expensive and I knew what I was getting and I also use Spectro in the Primary for the same reason, the price was fair and it stated on the bottle that it was the BEST primary oil for my HD - that along with recommendation from this board I went with that in my primary vice Amsoil product -

Yes I like the Amsoil product and not ashamed to say so and I like the guy I buy it from and he isn't on this forum peddling his product nor is he doing it on another forum, he just has it as a banner and his customers come by word of mouth and I have known him for three years. I honestly don't care about the sales and how it is set up, the guy I get it from doesn't pressure me to sell and he is happy to make a few extra bucks selling it - so I don't see where that is a foul and makes it a bad product to buy? Even Mr. Data said in one of his post (I am paraphrasing) the the Amsoil product wasn't bad he just didn't think the way they sold it was right.

Just another perspective -

Why dont we chip in a few bucks and have an indy lab run some tests on the popular oils to compare their qualities. 4 ball wear etc. And post the results. They sell oil with smoked mirrors, when we sell grease, a spec sheet is required outlining all the important properties so the customer can see what they are paying for. Never mind the special blend, additives etc. ,the test results will speak for themselves. Im sure that the highest priced oil won't always be that much better for the price but at least you would be able to make an informed guess.

Back