free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

Many companies selling synthetic oils give spec sheets, generally they are pretty basic though. Sometimes it makes the choices tougher.

really guys and maybe some gals, i have an '06 fat boy, which is 5 speed. all i need to know specifically now is, what type trans. fluid, and how much, and same with engine oil and how much. too much technical stuff is very confusing for me. just trying to stay away from the stealerships if possible, enjoyed reading all your responses, but got way too many different answers.:s thanks a plenty.

In the trans Spectro GL1 for 5 speeds or the six speed GL5 is OK to use too, Mobil (posted in the first post) 75/90 or 75/140 depending on your temps. One qt should do it but check the dipstick.

Engine Mobil 1 V Twin 3 qts and check it on the stick.

tn563s3.jpg

I suggest looking in the owners manual, if you don't have one then get one. All the specs are in there. Also recommend getting a Harley shop manual if you are working on the bike yourself.

I just recently switched over to Amsoil 20W-50 MCV on my 2004 Ultra Classic. I'm using this fo my engine, transmission, and Primary chain. It's been running fine. Should I change to SVO or SVT severe gear lube for the tranny & primary ?

May be a good thing to do or switch to Spectro would be even better.

The 20/50 is more of an engine oil than a gear lube and Amsoil has changed what they recommend in different areas. I guess they just want to sell more product and can't make up their mind.:s

Re: Oil Suggestions For Harleys (updated)

Thanks Mr. Data i will take your suggestions , all i want to do is give my baby the best cars i can no matter what the cost . Oils are cheap compared to an new engine . I did mispeak about the servise guy saying about warrany issues on other mfg. Oils i guess i read it in a thread some where my mistake . I will try moble 1 v-twin in engine , spectro hd in tranny and hd forula 1 in primary , i also heard syn3 in tranny was not good .

I just recently switched over to Amsoil 20W-50 MCV on my 2004 Ultra Classic. I'm using this fo my engine, transmission, and Primary chain. It's been running fine. Should I change to SVO or SVT severe gear lube for the tranny & primary ?

I run MCV 20w/50 in the engine and primary and SVO 75w/140 in the tranny. You could also use SVG 75w/90 or SVT 75w/110 in the tranny depending on the where you live (i.e. desert, great white north, etc.).

I use the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil and am very pleased with it. It is also readily available at the local Advanced Auto.

Back