free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

glider

Veteran Member
Oil Suggestions For Harleys (updated)

Here is a listing of the many oils that you can choose from...
An online source for Spectro oils...

Spectro Shop

You can also order direct from Spectro...

Spectro Oils of America

You can find cross references for HD oil to Spectro here...

HD/Spectro Cross Reference - Harley Davidson Community

A straight weight oil is not recommended for the newer TC engines.

My thoughts on HD brand oil is their Syn 3 is not good choice when there are so much better oils available. It is a group 3 oil when most of the others are at least a group 4 or better meaning it is not a full synthetic but a blend of oils.
Their HD 360 non synthetic is a good oil however.

The HD oil filters are specked for the Harley engines and using another brand is a chance to take after considering the filter media size in microns and bypass spring pressure. If it opens too low, your engine will run on unfiltered oil.

Also never confuse a Twin cam oil filter and an EVO oil filter or you will have big problems. Basically the EVO oil filter is 30 microns in filter media and the Twin cam is now 5 micron. The oil jets that cool the bottom of the pistons in a twin cam engine need the 5 micron rating otherwise they will not be able to function once they get clogged and the pistons will heat up more than they should.

Mobil 1 V Twin 20/50 is designed for the V-Twin engine, some people use the regular Mobil 1 car oil but it lacks the necessary additive packages (one being moly that is an anti wear agent) to stand up to the heat of the Harley air cooled engine which runs much hotter than the car counterpart because of the water cooling.

tn563s3.jpg

For the transmission, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube
LS 75W-140 or 75W90 is a good choice also in the big twins.
tn562s3.jpg

Redline Shockproof Heavy is also a good choice in the transmissions of big twins.
tn564s3.jpg

For the sportster primary case/trans which share oils , this is a good choice.
Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils

tn570s3.jpg

Heavy Duty Primary Chain case Oil
This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturer’s instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity eliminates clutch “drag” and slipping. 85w R.GAPCL 12/1 qt bottles/case 85w X.GAPCL 16 gal drum.

GL 1 which is for 5 speed and 4 speed transmissions.
tn568s3.jpg

Redline shockproof heavy for the trans (it's a gear oil) or Mobil 1 gear oil 75/90 or 75/140 will do nicely also.

I just tried a "new for me" product by Spectro oils on the advice of a friend. I have used their oil in the past and liked the results. I installed this oil yesterday 10/13/07 and I am impressed with it over the Mobil 1 75/90 and 75/140 synthetics that I have tried and used since the bike was new.

It's Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 75/140 for helical and straight cut gears, made especially for 6 speed transmissions. It has a rating of GL5 and I think I have found a new oil for my transmission. The shifting is better , smoother and also quieter. Cost is about $16 a quart but well worth it IMO. I thought the Mobil 1 and redline shock proof heavy worked well until I tried this oil.

tn571s3.jpg

Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil
Designed by Spectro in response to complaints from Harley owners about the great but noisy new 6-speed transmission, this full synthetic provides ultimate lubrication protection. Formulated to significantly reduce gear noise and provide easier, smoother shifting, this SAE 75w140 which is red in color with a formulation to ease shifting even when cold. High loads and extreme heat do not affect the oil, so it performs well when pushed hard and long. A.P.I. GL-5 rated.
The GL1 is for the 5 speed transmissions and is green in color to distinguish it from the GL 5.

Royal purple oils , Lucas oils and Golden Spectro are an excellent choice also.

In the primary pretty much any 10/30 - 10/40 without friction modifiers in it will do the job.The HD Formula+ from the dealer will work well here too, also Spectro chain case lube will work well too.

tn567s3.jpg

Or if you prefer a Spectro product...
Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity eliminates clutch “drag” and slipping.

tn569s3.jpg

You can use the formula + in the primary but I would not use it in the trans because it falls short there in the severe service category.

Changing from one brand to another brand will cause no problems at all or from dino oil to synthetic oil will mix also with no problems when changing over.

Here's some input on the rating of the various lubes. It's not a recent posting but may give you a better understanding.

GL gear_lube_designations

Last edited:
Mr. Data ,i noticed the heavy-duty platinum gear oil carries a gl5 rating & gl1 is the specified level.mike baldwin on the spectro oils letters forum states that they recommend a gl1,but all the while their bottle says gl5.confused?yes i am.

regards from sunny Queensland

Spectro also sells a GL 1 oil for use in the HD trans also.
API service classifications range from GL-1 through GL-5, with the number indicating level of service severity. GL-1 is the least severe, and its requirements are normally satisfied with motor oil. GL-2 requirements are met with rust and oxidation inhibited oils. GL-3 through GL-5 require the addition of extreme pressure (EP) additives, with higher GL numbers indicating a higher level of EP additive. The MT-1 classification requires good performance in high-temperature applications.

I've never read Mikes comments but this particular oil is sold as "6 speed oil" so there's a bit of contradiction there. It would be interesting to direct this same question to Mike to see what he comments about it.

Here's some input on the rating of the various lubes. It's not a recent posting but may give you a better understanding.

GL gear_lube_designations.pdf

API Service Classifications

GL-1
Truck manual transmissions (engine oil)
GL-2
Worm gear drive, industrial gear oils*
GL-3
Manual transmissions and spiral bevel final drives*
GL-4
Manual transmissions, spiral bevel and hypoid gears in moderate service. 50% additive treat level of GL-5
GL-5
Moderate and severe service on hypoid and other types of gears. May also be used in manual transmissions
GL-6
Meant for severe service involving high-offset hypoid gears*
MT-1
Nonsynchronized manual transmissions in heavy-duty service

Latest update direct from Spectro oils themselves.

As per Ken Ciocci

The 6 Speed oil (heavy duty platinum) is a GL 5 and is made for use in the 6 speed because of the helical cut and straight cut gears. The helical gears being the difference here.
There is more of the anti wear additive (twice the amount) in the GL 5 as there is in the GL 1. The anti wear compounds are zinc and phosphorus.

This is the GL 1 Spectro for 5 speeds.

tn572s3.jpg

Here's a FAQ on the spectro site.
http://exit.hdtimeline.com/sh1238post9723
Question:
Have a couple of simple questions. Why is Spectro better than Harley, RevTech, Mobil and Penzoil these are the competitors in Europe. What does Spectro contain that makes it better than the competition or is the basic oil better than the competition? Also the graph on your website show the oils contain phosphorus, zink, calcium and magnesium: what are the advantages of these and what do they do? What should be in a good aircooled motorcycle oil and what should not? Which of these are in Spectro and are not or are at a lower percentage in competitors oils? On a scale of 10 where does Spectro end up and were does the competition?

Answer:
Just a few simple questions, huh? Well, they are excellent questions and should be addressed on the oil comparison page in addition to where they are now, the FAQ pages.

Oils are compounded using three categories of ingredients:
1. Additives usually combined into a 'package'
2. Base oils sometimes including synthetics
3. Viscosity index improvers made of different types of molecules for different purposes.

We are committed to using the top shelf products within all three of these categories, and we continually tune our compounds to maximize quality. What this means is this:

Additive packages are revised every year by Infineum, the chemicals arm of ExxonMobil. They do all of the weartesting and analysis to ensure the packages meet the required OEM specifications thankfully, because this is the hardest work in the process. Some of these packages are built to be used at several optional treat rates for different uses. They perform dispersant, rust/corrosion inhibition, antifoaming, wear protection, antiacid and oxidation protection duties.

We always opt for the maximum treat rate allowable costs us more money but we believe it is money very well spent for wear and rust/ corrosion protection. Then, we specially modify the package with more zinc/phosphorus for even better cam, lifter, and main bearing wear protection. This adds significantly more to the cost. Only a small handful of companies do this, none of which make Vtwin specific oils. This is the reason for the high levels you see on the additive charts.

The base oils we buy are different from most of our competitors oils also. We buy exclusively from ExxonMobil for continued quality and consistency. You can buy cheaper base oils on the 'spot' market, but you will lose all of the aforementioned advantages.

Unfortunately, we pay dearly for this benefit. The finer base oils have a higher natural viscosity index, meaning they thin less when temperature rises. This enables us to formulate a more thermallystable motor oil than our competition. The Heavy Duty viscosity index is a perfect example of what can be accomplished with higher quality VI improvers and higher VI base oils.

The viscosity index improvers do additional work on the oils to even further lessen the thinning out as heat rises. The market is flooded with cheap VI improvers none of which we have ever used, by the way. One category is Polystyrene. Another category is Olefincopolymers OCP which most higher quality motorcycle OEM oils are made with: OCPs cost more money than polystyrene. At Spectro, we choose an even more expensive product that is higher still in shear stability and in its ability to survive in a gearbox. For us, this is more money well spent. By the way, the straight grades do not need this component which is why they work fine with methanol.

This shear stability polymer combined with huge amounts of zinc/phosphorus, is what gives a rider longerlasting oil and a longerlived motor! The higher viscosity index is what gives the rider a smoother, quieter motor with better protection at start up.

I was told by Ken Ciocci from Spectro oils that the GL 1 would be a better choice for the 5 speeds in that the extra additive package is not needed in the 5 speed primarily because of the straight cut gears. The GL 1 is GREEN in color as compared to the RED color of the GL 5. It also does not have such a strong odor as the GL 5 does because of the lesser amounts of zinc and phosphorus.
He went on to say that you can use the GL 1 in a six speed but not the GL 5 in a 5 speed. Let's not get confused here though, better to stick with the recommended applications.

Ken recommended the 75/140 weight in both 5 and 6 speeds.

Had a great conversation with him and was offered a tour of the facility with advanced notice.

Any questions about the Spectro line that also offers engine oils, fork oil and primary oil for Harley's can be referred to Ken as per his recommendation at 1-800-243-8645 and if he doesn't answer, to leave a message and he will get back to you.

They have a great site with just about any info that you need.

Spectro Oils USA

Sharky1948 here on HDT checked with Ken about the best choice for sportsters and was told for his '07 XL1200C he recommended the GL1 75W140 over the 6 speed oil with the extra additives because they would not agree with the clutches being the trans and primary share the same oil. He also said " that while the GL1 wouldn't do any damage, the GPCL was formulated for the purpose and that is what they recommend. "
The GPCL is listed on their web site as "Heavy Duty Gold Primary Chaincase Lube/Transmission Lubricant and is the ideal choice for all Big Twin and Sportster chaincases "

This was posted by Sharky1948 concerning the sportster transmission/primary case lubricant update...

More Info on Spectro Oil for Sportster Chaincase

I was at an aftermarket HD parts/repair shop this afternoon to pick up some of the GL1 for my Sportster chaincase. The owner (I think) said that he didn't believe that the GL1 was the best choice for the Sportster transmission and that they always used the GPCL (Heavy Duty Gold Primary Chaincase Lube/Transmission Lubricant). He called John Dunn at Spectro to confirm. (John has been at Spectro for over 25 years.) John said that while the GL1 wouldn't do any damage, the GPCL was formulated for the purpose and that is what they recommend. I checked the website and the description for the GPCL says "Heavy Duty Gold Primary Chaincase Lube/Transmission Lubricant is the ideal choice for all Big Twin and Sportster chaincases. It is also made especially to provide smooth shifting in Sportster and all Big Twin transmissions."

Still trying to find my way around this site. It only took 5 days to find my post.
Very interesting info about not using GL-5 in a 5 speed. I dont understand , but will check the Spectro site for answeres

Thanks

Basically the GL 5 is needed for helical cut gears because of the wear additive and the friction of the helical cut gears on each other and the 5 speed has straight cut gears so it's overkill so to speak for the 5 speed.

If you can't locate your posts, go into your profile by clicking on your screen name at the bottom of the home page and choose "find all posts by dangerdan".

It will bring up all your replies.

Mr. Data
Re - Can 6 speed gear oil with a GL-5 rating be used in a 5 speed. The answere is YES.

See the response from Ken

Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:50 PM
To: kciocci@spectro-oils.com
Subject: Harley transmission Oil question. OIL rating GL-1 or GL-5

Why is a Harley 6 speed transmission oil (SPECTRO) with a rating of GL-5 not suitable for a Harley 5 speed. Is the extra zinc and phosphorus not compatible with the straight cut gears in the 5 speed or is it simply a matter of not utilizing the extra benifits provided by the GL-5.

There was a discussion on the web about this.

Here's a FAQ on the spectro site.

I was told by Ken Ciocci from Spectro oils that the GL 1 would be a better choice for the 5 speeds in that the extra additive package is not needed in the 5 speed primarily because of the straight cut gears. The GL 1 is GREEN in color as compared to the RED color of the GL 5. It also does not have such a strong odor as the GL 5 does because of the lesser amounts of zinc and phosphorus.
He went on to say that you can use the GL 1 in a six speed but not the GL 5 in a 5 speed.

WHY CANT GL-5 BE USED IN A HARLEY 5 SPEED.

Thanks

Dangerdan

This was the response from Ken

Oh boy, confusion and misinterpretation is running amuck.
Let’s make it right.
You and use either oil in either tranny, but the 6 speed oil (red) will work better in the 6 speed because of the additive package. The GL-1 will also work in the 6 speed but the GL-5 will work better. The additive in the GL-5 is just not necessary in the 5 speed, (no helical cut gear.)

The odor in the 6 speed oil is because of the Extreme Pressure additive package which contains sulfur and chlorine, as well as a trace of zinc and phosphorus. The GL-1 oils contain no sulfur and chlorine, this product uses zinc and phosphorus for its anti-wear chemistry.

I hope this helps to clarify the muddy waters.

Ken

dangerdan

After reading your post and the one I posted above it, it looks like about the same thing is being said in both. The GL1 CAN be used in the 6 speed, never meant to imply that it couldn't ( and the 5 speed has straight cut gears so it's overkill so to speak for the 5 speed.),it's just not the best choice for it. Maybe I should have typed that instead of leaving it to interpretation.

My bad!:s

I believe I had the additives mixed up in the two oils.

Thanks for the clarification.

I can tell a good difference with the Spectro 6 speed GL-5 in my 6 speed trany's. Switching from Mobil 1 75w-90 & 75w-140 which I had no problems with, the Trans are quieter and shift better with the Spectro!

Back