free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

I am a bit concerned about oil capacity. The service manual says 4 qts for the engine. I put in 3.5, then took a 10 mi run, and did the hot check. She took the rest of the 4th quart, and still only reads midway between the add and full marks on the stock dipstick. I am using the HD LCD oil temp/level dipstick and it says full. Which do I trust?

Enjoy,
Rich P

It's not the first time I have heard of the replacement HD dipsticks giving a false reading. I would recheck the level with the stock stick and go from there. Also a 10 minute run doesn't bring the oil up to full operating temps.

Hi from TAHITI,
Unfortunately in my country I have none of the oil suggested above for the Big twin trans clutch...
I use the 10w50 COFRAM motor oil with no problem until now!!
Any advice's ??
thank a lot.

Mobil1VTwin in the engine...
HD Formula+ in the primary...
Spectro GL5 trans oil in the trans...

Any changes to these recommendations for 2010 big twin models? I looked at the Amsoil cross-ref. for Harley oils (part no.s) on my '10 Deluxe and it indicated MCV 20w50 in all 3 holes. I've considered the MCV 75w110 for the trans, but is that just the same stuff in a different bottle? I'm in Texas, so I'm wanting oils that will take the heat.

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm headed to the parts store right now with your list in hand.

DD

I just read on the Moble 1 site that the M1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75w90 corrodes copper/brass/bronze, is this a concern in newer HD tranny's?

D

I just read on the Moble 1 site that the M1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75w90 corrodes copper/brass/bronze, is this a concern in newer HD tranny's?

I don't feel it's in sufficient quantities to do any damage, but I prefer the Spectro in any case for better shifting.

Donnie Peterson has an article in Sept. issue of American Iron saying The MOCO has told service managers to get that syn 3 out of whinning trannys and replace it with gear oil HMMMMM imagine that Bubbie and TQ, and Mr. Data were right:s

Back