free website stats program motorcycle jacks | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

motorcycle jacks

Lark and others make a good point. Both the Snap-on and the HF socket wrenches will tighten/loosen a bolt. The difference is in the quality of the materials. HF is fine if you use it once a week for an hour. If you use it all day, and your livelihood depends upon having ready-to-tools, you might want to go with the more expensive tool.

Same with a lift. If it has to go up and down several times a day, every day, under all kinds of loads, I'd want the more expensive one. If I had the time to carefully balance the bike, get it just right, and then take it up once, I'd go with the HF.

I too considered the Pit Bull and the J & S, and I too noted the difference in height. I bought the J & S, because I really liked their attitude when I called on the phone. I bought mine in person, in WI and got a tour of their shop. They recently sent me replacement rubber pads with glue and intructions for FREE. I use mine constantly. I have never needed to lift my bike higher than the J & S. Before I bought mine, I asked them why theirs did not go higher, and the J & S guys explained that they felt lifting the bike higher than the lift is wide was just fundamentally not as stable. It made since to me, and their lift is stable as a rock. My vote is J & S.

Actually that would be a no...I have the Harbor Freight one and it raises bike about 18", but it is entirely high enough, no I do not want or need to raise the bike that high to service the bike, nor do I need to ride on the front or back wheel as the stability is fine for my servicing needs at under $70 on sale. So all good products and will serve you well.

Is yours the yellow 1500# unit? If so, did you ever figure out how to get it to lower a bit more slowly? Don't like that push the pedal all the way down to lower the machine, but that's the way it is. It seems to descend at a somewhat uncomfortable speed.

Is yours the yellow 1500# unit? If so, did you ever figure out how to get it to lower a bit more slowly? Don't like that push the pedal all the way down to lower the machine, but that's the way it is. It seems to descend at a somewhat uncomfortable speed.

I have the yellow 1500 and yes it does come down but I don't find it a dangerous descending speed. One does need to have both hands on the bike and be prepared to handle the bike. If you want the slow, one handed hang on the handlebars then yes you need to shell out another $230 of your budget.
But my H.F. does not sag "anywhere" nor do I find it unsafe, nor does my bike fall off of it. I do not have a need to climb up and mount my bike while it is on the lift. Again if one wants to mount their bike while on the lift then the J-S lift would seem to be the way to go and scratch the $230 savings.
And on that particular aspect, I did not see any strapping of the bike on the J-S video. So given that it would appear the weight of the bike is keeping it on the lift. And since the pads appear to be the same distance apart as the H.F. is after the mod, then I surmise if I was a mind too (which I'm not) I could mount the bike on the H.F. also. Because if you eliminate straps to hold the bike to the lift then the wider roller base would not be a factor, it would only be the width of the pads and the weight of the bike.
Just thought I would make all this clear for anyone trying to make a decision that is a little low on money to spend. I can tell you this I bought my H.F. lift and just bought a front turn sig relo kit, a Jereez Custom's oil pressure gauge kit, a 2" tank lift kit and few bucks to spare for what I would have paid for the J-S lift alone.

The HF does decend fast the first inch or so...but the key is to have faith and press the pedal and hold it ALL THE WAY DOWN. It even says in the instructions that if you go part of the way down on the pedal it may decend faster and longer...NOT GOOD in my opinion...so don't do the latter.

I bought the pit bull 2 years ago at bike week and I love it. I paid extra for the turn table option because I thought it was cool but I really have not found a good use for spinning the bike. Plus the pin that holds the turn table staionary likes to work it's way out when washing the bike.

I would recomend the pit bull without the turn table.

Another vote for J&S. Great bunch of people, awesome product & willing to correct any problem(s) w/o charge. I got mine last Christmas & couldn't be more pleased. Use it all the time for cleaning, service & storage...makes moving bike around in garage much easier.

<....> a Jereez Custom's oil pressure gauge kit <....> .

Please excuse I typed too fast, that should be Jerzee Custom's Oil Pressure gauge kit. It is a nice kit, only thing I would do if I were Jerzee would be to add 4 stainless #8 washers to the kit to allow for proper tightening of the gauge mount without bending the flange. They do caution about tightening too much in their instructions but I went to the hardward store and bought the washers ($0.20 cents for 4) so I would not have to worry about some service tech overtightening them if I ever have need to put it in the shop. Since he is obviously not going to have Jerzee's instructions there.

The HF does decend fast the first inch or so...but the key is <.......> press the pedal and hold it ALL THE WAY DOWN. It even says in the instructions that if you go part of the way down on the pedal it may decend faster and longer...NOT GOOD in my opinion...so don't do the latter.

Good description, and in my opinion the most important thing with this lift is to have BOTH hands on the bars and be prepared to handle the bike just like you were standing beside your bike holding it up (or rolling it around) and you won't have any problems.
I keep my jiffy stand down while lowering it, but when it comes to rest on the floor I have pre-ready my grip to pull the bike towards me (away from the jiffy stand) and I have no problems balancing or holding the bike.
I always press all the way down and I don't experience any lightning fast descent. It does come on down pretty quick, but it does not just drop out of the air. I have read of guys tapping a bolt thru the release pedal and setting it to a point where the descend speed suits them. I have not experimented enough to know where that point is myself, I just always press it all the way down.
My bike is a 2007 Dyna of about 640lbs. I am 60 yrs old in fairly good shape but do have arthritis. I am 6'-2" and weight 220 lbs. If I can handle it I would think most folks could. If you have trouble balancing your bike or your bike is extremely heavy then you should factor all of this in your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the yellow HF jack. I have changed dozens of tires on all types of bikes using mine. Like everyone else say's, hold on to the bike when letting it down. The first few times get your attention, but after that you know what to expect.:D

Back