free website stats program Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced?

How can you place a price tag on the brotherhood that is "Harley"? Our motorcycles are an extension of US...each and every one of us. Admit it we are passionate about it and we wouldn't have it any other way....I love to RIDE...It is therapy. Even through all the shortcomings we all share a common bond. (must be the cold meds)my being philosophical.

Amen Brother!

NO! is the short answer to the question. Having owned many bikes over the years, the last one being a BMW K1200R, I eventually decided that the time had come to slow down a little and adopt a more relaxed riding style as the K12R just wanted to go straight to the red line at every change of gear. So I took a trip to my local dealer who gave me a Heritage softail and a Road King Classic out for a good test ride, fell in love with both bikes and opted for the Road King with better ground clearance. I get out on the bike as often as possible and every time I head out I have a grin like a cheshire cat :D which stays with me 'til well after the journey's over. Only one other bike I have ever had has given me an almost similar level of enjoyment & satisfaction which was my 1978 Honda CBX1000Z. The Harleys of present times are much more refined than way back then although still not perfect, I don't believe that there is another bike on the market that could give this rider a similar experience, that only American Iron can deliver. I have worked hard to buy this bike and could have easily have saved half the amount of money if opting for a Japanese cruiser but they have no soul for me and just can't imitate the look or even get half way to an alternative option. Don't get me wrong, everyone loves a bargain and it would be nice to see a reduction in prices, particularly here in the UK whilst the dollar / sterling exchange rate is so good from a UK perspective (someone must be doing OK from the present rate) but I will never grudge the money I spent for this wonderful piece of American Motorcycle History. Yes, there have been some negatives with my purchase but not in the value for money sense, only the way that HD and their Dealers conduct their business, but that's for another forum.:60:

What isn't over priced today? I have owned honda's and yamaha's. This my 1st Harley, there is no comparison. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

My harley is 62 years old and still on the road. Some of my friends have older ones. Are there cheaper bikes? Sure there are. But show me one that will still be on the road running strong after 60 to 70 years. You pay for what you get. Just cause they make em look like Harleys doesn't mean they last or hold their value like Harleys. And if everyones technology is so much further ahead then why do they go to such lengths to emulate our rides? JMO

I plan on hitting the lottery, and at that time when I look at the half dozen Harleys in my six car garage I don't think I'll care. Got to have a plan,,,:taunt

All I have to say is that after owning many motorcycles in 37 years of continuous motorcycle ownership, I feel that this 2008 FLSTC that I bought last month is a magnificent work of art and well worth the 19K that I paid for it...

Just pull up to a metric dealer and park your New Harley next to a 15k Cruiser and ask yourself if the HD is worth the 4K premium.

Now, with regard to being an investment, the HD's residual is well above any metrics..

My opinion is that HD's are neither overpriced nor underpriced... Plus, knowing that I am supporting American Families makes this bike a hell of a value!

Cheers,

Bill

Back