free website stats program Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced? | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced?

I just bought a 2008 105th Anniversary Ultra Glide. The main competition I investigated was a comprably equipped Honda Goldwing. There was viturally no difference in price at this high level of cycle design. Both were just about $26,000. The Honda had a reverse mode and the Harley had the looks, sound, and feel of what I believe a motorcycle is, versus an automobile adaptation.
I also own a 2007 Honda Shadow 750. Purchased it for $7,100 with some custom items. There is no Harley against which to compare this model, but many will do so...or try to compare the Shadow 1200. I don't believe that you can properly compare any bike to a Harley unless the engine displacement is about the same, and even then, what do you say about another brand that copied all it could of the Harley Cruiser Design? What value to you place on any icon? Like a Corvette, or a Sea Ray ski boat, or anything that has for decades pulled at the heart strings of so many of us?

I will say this however: Superb quality in today's world is absolutely mandatory. As long as Harley Davidson continues to provide the highest quality it can within its design, and also moves the overall design incrementally forward, then their iconic image value will remain.

I didn't have a bike for years, and bought a 2000 Honda Shadow ACE. Then I lost my job and sold the bike. In 2004, I bought a Sportster 1200R after deciding my next bike would be what I wanted, a Harley-Davidson.

I rode it 4 seasons, traded it for over $7000.00 on a Dyna Super Glide for MSRP because I felt it was worth the price. That was in October, when I knew they wanted to move some bikes. I had researched dealer invoice prices, and figured they had $2300.00 to play with so I low balled them and got a decent trade for my Sporty after riding it for 4 seasons.

MSRP is about right, or maybe a little pricey. Accessories are a bit expensive, but the resale value is good. Do your homework, which I didn't do on the Sporty, and you can swing a good deal.

Motorcycles are just like anything else. They're worth what people are willing to pay! When Harley Davidson's become over priced, being either due to their own marketing, the economics of available personal funds, or whatever, they'll stop selling.

It may be simply something peculiar to my group of friends, but every time I hear one of them griping about the cost of a Harley, I seems the real problem is, that they can't afford one!

Two words - supply/demand

Latest Consumer Reports auto issue shows Mercedes to be fairly low as far as reliability, yet they still sell like hotcakes to people who can afford them. There's a certain premium associated with being able to say, " I drive a Mercedes" just like saying, " I ride a Harley." Hard to put a dollar value on that premium but both companies have figured it out!

Nothing compares to a Harley Davidson,:D

keeps me smiling miles after miles.............................Priceless:laugh

High,, Harley? Umm how about MSRP of a Ducati 1098R @ $39,995,, wanna roadie, ok The BMW K1200 can be yours for only $21,520,,more sporty minded, sure your are, so go for the BMW HP2 @ a ridicules low $25,375. Don’t count out comfort on them long rides, you want your tail sitting on a new GWing @ $22,100. Sure I can go on, but why. Harley seems a good deal to me compared to what I see above. And don’t forget, the resale price of an HD will be much higher down the road than any other motorcycle on the highway. Peace out,

HI...
I´m a new member. I live in Austria (Europe) and I wil get my "Fat Bob" in May.. I paid € 19.000,- approx. in US $ 26.000,--. This is over priced. :bigsmiley31: We have a lot of tax incl. carriyng cost and so on. Now I´m looking for a Harley leather jacket...in Austria € 600,-- approx. US $ 800,-.. So you can be happy that you live in the USA. I´m still looking for a leather jacket for my own. It´will be cheaper from US incl tax from austria. ...greetings from Austria :s

HI...
I´m a new member. I live in Austria (Europe) and I wil get my "Fat Bob" in May.. I paid € 19.000,- approx. in US $ 26.000,--. This is over priced. :bigsmiley31: We have a lot of tax incl. carriyng cost and so on. Now I´m looking for a Harley leather jacket...in Austria € 600,-- approx. US $ 800,-.. So you can be happy that you live in the USA. I´m still looking for a leather jacket for my own. It´will be cheaper from US incl tax from austria. ...greetings from Austria :s

Wecome to the asylum :D

Unless you just gotta have Harley stamped on that jacket go to leatherup.com grab one for 100 bucks and call it good.

HI...

You need an American Buddy over here to hook you up with stuff and send it to you. Beat the system man.:cheers

Back