free website stats program Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced? | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced?

If you think it's overpriced don't buy one, simple.If you can be happy on one of those overly styled pretenders with the tank weld seam hanging down for all to see and the gaudy plasti chrome parts and the wierd popcorn maker sound eminateing from it then go for it.

In Canada the price of the bike has come down but OEM parts are still a ridiculous price. Deelys have a license to steal, and I try not to support them, which means I also don't support a dealer.

Think of it this way, Jap bikes are mostly throw aways, how many Jap bikes do you see that are 10,15, 20 years old? Don't know how long lived Goldwings are, yes BMW's last for a long time, but you will pay just as much or more for them as a HD.
My mechanic buddies tell me with syn oil and regular service Twin Cams should go 70K with little trouble.
Yes they do give some problems but what piece of machinery won't?
It amazes me to hear people butch about American cars/trucks, my last 3 US made vehicles have done 400K (GMC Surbubian, still runs great for trailering) a Jeep SUV 300K still running strong, and a 04 Chevy Z71, at 210K my everyday driver. If we don't support our own industry what the hell are our kids going to do for a decent living, flip burgers?

Loathe as I am to admit it... so far the Honda Element (company car) that I drive every day for work, has been pretty reliable so far (two years and a LOT of miles... over 53K... wish I had this many on my bike!). Not much can be said for American craftsmanship in the car department.

To be honest though, if I had my choice of car to drive around... I'd STILL opt for a classic Mustang (64-66)... yes they were rust buckets... yes they had their issues... but I still think it's a sharp vehicle. The RR's and Bentley's of the world are nifty, but way out of my wallet's price range!

That's hogwash!!!:bigsmiley19: Maybe in 1980 the jap quality was better, but cars like the Ford fusion or Chevy malibu are as good if not better than Honda or toyota. The media wants you to believe that we make an inferior product, but that is simply not true! The three bid american auto makers have more reliable autos models with better mpg than all jap makers combined. The public needs to shop around and dont believe the hype! Tell me what german, italian, british, or japanese performance car compares to a new corvette when it comes to bang for the buck?? Quality, handling, performance, and looks are second to none unless you want to pay $200,000 plus. As far as Harleys, its the feel, the looks at a stop light, the sound, the whole aura that no other motorcycle maker can, or will ever come close to duplicating. Sure, I have to wrench on her once in a while, but that fact makes my fxrs even more personal to me, and not so cookie cutter bland.

Back in 1986, I bought a new FXRS for $8400 out the door. While dickering on the price, the salesman had told me that he would give me $500 for my '76 Yamaha 650 Special, OR, he would take another $1000 off of the price if I kept the Yamaha!

Once the warranty was up, I never took the bike back to a dealer for servicing. I found a couple of reliable independent wrenches who have continued to service the bike as needed. It now has over 200k on the clock. It runs fine, doesn't look too bad, and is classic Harley at 22 years old.

It currently blue books at around $5000!

Back in 1986, I bought a new FXRS for $8400 out the door. While dickering on the price, the salesman had told me that he would give me $500 for my '76 Yamaha 650 Special, OR, he would take another $1000 off of the price if I kept the Yamaha!

Once the warranty was up, I never took the bike back to a dealer for servicing. I found a couple of reliable independent wrenches who have continued to service the bike as needed. It now has over 200k on the clock. It runs fine, doesn't look too bad, and is classic Harley at 22 years old.

It currently blue books at around $5000!
My 87 fxrs is stll worth according to kelly blue book around $6500 not too shabby for resale .

I think it depends on what you are wanting. I was debating between a new Harley and a Honda VTX. By the time I added the accessories I wanted to the VTX, it was about the same price as the stock Harley touring bike. Maintenance intervals are more frequent on the Harley, but the labor rate at the Honda dealer was higher. Accessories for the Harleys are also more prevalent than metric brands.

Bottom line really should be to get what you like and want; you'll be happier that way.

Back