free website stats program Is 58 too old to get in to biking? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is 58 too old to get in to biking?

Absolutely not as long as you respect that you are always on the Defense when riding it will probably ad yrs. versus sitting around.

NEVER TO OLD!!! i am 23 years old and to be honest i'd rather ride with older people than people my own age. get ya a new scooter and join the rest of us

My Friend...I am 57, I rode from 21 to 42...then for reasons of my own haven't since. Last August I enrolled in a Harley-Davidson Training program to start a second career. Last night I bought a cherry 83 FXWG and will ride it until the wheels fall off.. So no 58 is not too old...An FLSTC will work out nicely for you, smooth clean and low ( assuming you are like me...vertically challenged) Me I like the old bikes...if I could have afforded one I would have bought a panhead...but that's just me...good luck...:bigsmiley10:

A man after my own heart.... Save the classic Harleys! Give a good home to an older ride. Not only will you get to appreciate Harley history.. You won't be riding the same thing as most other people....

It's never to late to start riding... Just remember... 20 grand and 20 miles makes you neither a rider or a biker. Ride safe.. Take the safety course, then take the advanced riders course when you have logged a couple thousand miles. Then take it again year later. My reasoning behind this... When was the last time any of you practiced an emergency stop? Or an emergency avoidance maneuver? I'm sure very few of you have even though about it.

And don't be surprised if some folks won't ride with you until you get some miles under your belt.

I have friends that have just started riding, either after a long time away from the sport or are just new to it... At the first stop sign, they go left, I go right. They know I'll see 'em when we get to the destination.

Not that I don't want to ride with 'em. It's easier for them to make their mistakes and learn what's needed without me around. Also I don't have to worry about avoiding those mistakes when they happen. Or having to worry about "why the heck are they sooooo far behind me". Or spilting a group of riders in half due to having very little riding experience and no exposure to multiple bikes in a close quarters riding environment..

As with anything new... Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. Situational awareness on a motorcycle must be second nature. Get comfortable with yourself and the bike before introducing other factors that may complicate your riding situation.

Yea... I'm preaching...

But the bottom line is... ride if you want and have a good time doing it. It's a great sport. Just do all you can to make it a safe sport.

I learned to ride at the age of 21 in Saigon while serving the the Navy. Rode for 23 years then gave it up because of other hobbies. Just bought a Sportster at the age of 62 and engoying every minute of it. Sunday I rode with my son and brother and though what a great way to spend an afternoon.

Started riding last year at 56.....now have 2 bikes......did 26000 miles last year.....Done 10,000 so far this year and in August will do 5000 in 2 weeks going to Sturgis and back.....I live in FLa.......Hell no your not o Old...........How old do you feel....LOL

I never rode when I was young and didn't start til 58! Now I wish I had started a long time ago because I love it !!!!

Go for it?

58 you may be to young for a touring bike. My uncle got back into riding he's 71. but for the down side his older brother had to give up his gold wing, he let it fall over with him and his wife on it, in the driveway. He was not hurt but his wife had to go to the doctor. He traded the wing for a gold wing trike and he hates it. But hey he's set in his ways, he's 81.:newsmile099::panic

Back