free website stats program Is 58 too old to get in to biking? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is 58 too old to get in to biking?

I'm 46 and just got my first bike--a Harley of course--last year. I wish I would have started younger, but only because I think about all the time I missed riding. Follow your heart!

Reading this thread, the real question might be "does anyone under the age of 50 buy a Harley?" :D

Qualifier: I do not yet own a Harley, but am so close to buying one I can taste it!! This would be my first MC (I have taken the MSF basic riding course and have my M endorsement. Riding felt very natural to me... albeit in a parking lot.).

OK, this is actually an interesting thread, and an interesting post to which I am responding. I am a 35 year old male, again, with the exception of the MSF course, have never ridden an MC. I love Harleys, and am looking at the FXDC or FXDF. I think I am a good age to begin riding because I'm old enough to "know better" (read: am not out there to set any land speed records, or impress anyone. I want to be safe, and have fun, and ride my ride, not someone else's) but still in good physical and mental shape. I definitely think I have the right mindset for this sport. If it weren't for having two small children, I would already have a Harley in my garage. But after a lot of soul searching, reading, taking the class, talking to experienced riders, and talking to the wife, I think I have weighed the positives and negatives as much as possible. I can't remember a time where I have been so excited, or so obsessed with undertaking something new. The combination of the solitude of riding, combined with the comradery is really what appeals to me. Also, I've always been an athlete, and I approach this endeavor as taking up a new sport.

So, yeah, most likely there will at least be one person on this board who owns a Harley and is under 50 yrs. old :s In fact, I quite feel at home on this board already and love the whole culture.

regards,
Drew

Last edited:
It will make you feel 10 years younger, but I think you should get a Ultra. Cruise, comfort, and tunes what more do you need.

Only if you have an aversion to any of the following:

* Hanging out with a diverse crowd that all have a common ground
* Always having something to talk about with the bunch at a biker bar
* Having people buy you a beer that you have never met before
* Having girls half your age (or younger) ask YOU for a ride
* Coming home hot, sweaty, with grit on your face and in your hair and feeling like you can't wait to do it again
* Getting a "Harley brand" above your ankle or on your inner thigh
* Getting caught in the drivin' rain and only worryin about wipin her down so you don't get water spots on the chrome
* Linking up with a bunch of other two-wheelers and just goin' wherever they are
* Wanderin down the road a ways without a place you gotta get to
* Getting your hands dirty, mashin' your knuckles, snaggin your tee shirt on something and getting a stiff back crawling around on the ground fixin her up

Otherwise, get after it, Bro'!

TQ

You Are Only As Old As You Feel. I'm 43 (july 27) Female Vertically Challenged And Short Armed As Well. Haven't Been On A Bike Of Any Kind Since Early 1980's. Just Got My First Bike 2005 Sportster 883 L. So I Say Go For It.

Back