free website stats program Here's my Trike build | Page 34 | Harley Davidson Forums

Here's my Trike build

Couldnt have happened at a more convenient time. Took the trike for a last ride and the engine shut off. Still had full electric to lights and where ever else it goes. But the engine had no spark at the plugs. It is now in my shop and on the lift. After confirming that the coil had the correct resistance measurements. I checked the positive lead to the ignition module. There was power to it. But that was it. After talking with a tech at Ultima. The module is shot! I had just ordered a new 53-644 Ultima programmable ignition module. The stock one is the fixed type. Now I will be able to fine tune my 113. While this is in the process of being shipped to my place. I'm just starting to tear into the trike for all the before mentioned mods that I had been planning on doing.

zoood

Today I managed to start taking the trike apart and upgrading as I'm going through it. I had changed out my OEM analog oil temperature gauge to a Dakota Digital. I'd rather know preciously what my oil temp is instead of guessing. Below is the analog setup. For the riders that have the older inner fairing as I do. You can successfully add additional gauges, not having to settle for just two.

28631_1372716195400_5150446_n.jpg

28631_1372716075397_4427786_n.jpg

The picture above is a view of where I used another section of the inner fairing for my oil temp gauge.

Below is the changed out look of the new gauge. The Dakota gauge's LEDs are actually blue in color.

250775_3729805561161_898473952_n.jpg

Im also relocating my radio antenna that I had originally mounted inside my fairing. Problem was,... the antenna would pick up noise from the Hog Tunes amplifier. Which wasnt suppose to fit under a 1993 fairing as stated by Hog Tunes. But it does. I'll be mounting the antenna within the trikes body, making it much further away from the amp.

zoood

The type antenna I mounted in the trikes body has an inline amplifier and a rubber antenna. 20 bucks at an auto supply store. The amplifier power lead is tied into the trikes switched power or accessory line.

I have the newly designed prototype heat deflectors for my trike with exhaust fans all wired in place. Though I have the older styled fairing. There is still ample room to mount a remote fan switch. Picture below is where I decided to mount the switch. Instead of drilling a hole. I used a soldering iron to melt an opening in the inner fairing and than a rat tail file to shape it just right.

182168_3741543814610_1635420837_n.jpg

When the switch is turned on. The LED will illuminate the color blue. With the new Dakota digital temperature gauge installed. I'll be able to note the differences and post my findings.

486624_3741543334598_1810274587_n.jpg

Trike Build Link

zoood

I also managed to change the Ultima Bullet front end springs out with Progressive springs that are made for a trike. I really didnt want to take that fairing almost all apart just to get to the shock tops for removal. So,... I actually had success at removing them and reinstalling them right through all those wires and within that limited space.

64467_1500477269347_1303306_n.jpg

zoood

Thank you mat 60. After viewing others that have posted things they've did to their builds and noticing that their coverage is incomplete or even misleading. I try to cover my improvements and or recommendations as well as I can and to provide pictures to help me clarify what I'm doing.

zoood

Boy....You do great work:)

As an update. I had to use a 1 & 3/8" combination wrench ( open- end and box wrench). This allowed me to get in through the birds nest to loosen and tighten the top fork nuts.

zoood

I also managed to change the Ultima Bullet front end springs out with Progressive springs that are made for a trike. I really didnt want to take that fairing almost all apart just to get to the shock tops for removal. So,... I actually had success at removing them and reinstalling them right through all those wires and within that limited space.

64467_1500477269347_1303306_n.jpg

zoood

My new coil and spark plug wires arrived today. The original coil was on it's way out. So I replaced it with a Single Fire Super Coil by Accel. This provides 65,000 volts.

553188_3751878792978_76321569_n.jpg

I also obtained the black custom fit 8.8mm wire set by Accel as well. The coil comes yellow and I will be painting that with black wrinkle finish.

Also while reassembling the trike. I try and do little adjustments here and there. As for instance, the cylinder pressure release valves are a necessity when trying to start the engine with the OEM starter. The only drawback is when you press them down, they are so small in size that at times in the dark I managed to press my finger against the still hot head bolt, thinking it was the pressure release button. They need larger button heads. I had some conchos here that resembled 12ga shot gun shell end caps and I adhered them to the button tops as seen in the picture.

The pictures are a little blurry, but you get the idea.

528977_3751879713001_1471492246_n.jpg

295438_3751878432969_1455814731_n.jpg

This oughta keep me from testing the heat of my engine with my finger tip.

Trike View Link

zoood

Last night I reshaped my windshield. In the picture below the red line represents where the windshield use to be. The new cropping of the shield is more streamline and to me, looks better than before.

529163_3771616486408_2082759697_n.jpg

My eyes are about 1" over the height of the windshield. At this height there's no helmet buffeting. For those interested, the windshield is acrylic. NOT lexan. This is smoke tint and when bright head lights come at you. You wont be blinded by looking through it at night, though you can still see through it just fine.

I had replaced my front end's shock tubes with progressive springs. For those that do this upgrade. I recommend when holding a tube when removing the tube's top nut. To get yourself an old bottom triple tree and grip that in a vice. Insert the tube in one of the openings and clamp it tight this way instead of trying to clamp it alone in a vice. It will hold fast and will void any chance of scratching the tube while working on it.

Trike Build Link

zoood

Trikerman. I was reading over my thread and saw what you wrote. Since I put in a hi performance engine. A 113 Ultima. My front wheel comes up off the ground! In 1st and 2nd and 3rd! My trailer hitch hits the ground too.

I don't think that you would get it to lift the front wheel anyway,as mine wont lift the front wheel no matter how I try. As you say the handling will be very different but a big grin factor:newsmile090::bigsmiley24::yahoo.

John.

Back