free website stats program Here's my Trike build | Harley Davidson Forums

Here's my Trike build

I purchased just the DFT Trike rear and their wheels. Out of all the other designs I looked over. I liked theirs the best. Also,... Ive other plans of modifications that I plan on trying on that rear. But I'll do that after I have it all together. Im just getting close to installing that Hot Rod trailer body on it. I have to widen the inside wheel wells. Their only 7" wide and the trike wheels are
9". Im also designing the seating as well. That in it's self is a lot of work. I want my trike to look like a trike. Not the look of 2 sections together. For example,... to me a heritage softail looks like 2 bikes together. The bags and the seat are studded. Where as the tank on forward isnt. Im still planning the paint sceme. Ive 27 years of airbrushing experience. But that too will be at a later date.

RJ/zoood

I keep adding to my progress every chance I get.
1993 Electra Glide Classic Trike Build
If you see the same, just refresh the page. When I put the trike rear on. I didnt care for the look of my front end. With the stock rake. It looked stub-nosed. I added the EZ Steer 5 degree rake over stock. The only easy thing about that triple tree add on was the name! However. It did allow me to check all my wiring connections. And believe me. They needed re-doin. While I was in there I also added Hertz speakers. Their 4" @ 100Wts. ea. and made for the older style inner fairings. I also placed one of those 12" rubber antennas with an inline antenna amp. It works very well that way and I like that I dont need no visual antenna for reception. While I'm building this. Every bolt, everything I remove and install again. I clean and polish it all. Even my inner fairing. Over the years has faded. I use that novi plexi glass polish in the red & white squeeze bottle you get at a dealership. My inner fairing looks brand new now. Another note on that EZ steer front end from Champion Sidecars. After the install. That 5 degree rake. Champion didnt address this fact with a fix, that your stock front fender will now tilt up in the front. I made brackets for it. Im still doing the drawings for the required struts I made to post on my build. The results looks factory. If you go to their site and look at their finished trikes. You will see this tilt up I'm referring about.

Fender_Tilt001.jpg

Front_fender_level.jpg

Stay tuned for further updates, lol RJ

That's one hefty looking unit. Did you make that or is it manufactured elsewhere?

I think the trike is a work of art to say the least and absolutely amazing piece of craftsmanship! Thank you for sharing your project with us! :D

I know this question will seem odd, but I am from old school automotive/2-wheel side of the house and would like a little more info on your HD Trike.

1) How is power transfered to the wheels..."differential-like" technology so the driven wheel allows power transfer and the inside wheel "free wheels" or utilizes some type of limited slip or is it "all wheel drive."

2) In a sharp turn, does the outside wheel want to "rise up" or will it stay planted.

3) Related to the above, when going over bumps is it essentially solid rear axle suspension or fully independent rear suspension (intermediate U-Joints and axle shafts allow up and down movement)?

Just curious...especially after seeing yesterday at the dealer were 3 riders w/two trikes, a new 2009 HD Trike w/ 2k on it & 2000 HD w/ "modified Chevy rear end" with flowing body work w/flames. :)

I'm sure you saw the pics in the link but the rear looks to be a belt drive with independent rear suspension and a differential.

exhaust.jpg

Oh yeah, now I see the axle shafts are "offset", and now I see that part about the independent rear suspension, but looking at the belt drive rotation is in the same plane as that "drum"...Thanks Glider. :p

How do you figure that differential works -- limited slip single wheel drive or some type of locking clutch to allow sharp cornering (outer wheel driving while inner is coasting), while allowing both wheels to be "driving" in a straight line. I only remember riding older ATV technology TriMoto's and how it lifted rigid axle outer rear wheel in a corner similar to the ol' side cars of yore as well.:small3d011:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, now I see the axle shafts are "offset", and now I see that part about the independent rear suspension, but looking at the belt drive rotation is in the same plane as that "drum"...Thanks Glider. :p

How do you figure that differential works -- limited slip single wheel drive or some type of locking clutch to allow sharp cornering (outer wheel driving while inner is coasting), while allowing both wheels to be "driving" in a straight line. I only remember riding older ATV technology TriMoto's and how it lifted rigid axle outer rear wheel in a corner similar to the ol' side cars of yore as well.:small3d011:

Its a limited slip drive setup. Like the slip rears in an S-10 chevy. same concept. Tires stay planted in turns. Will pull in straight line like a posi rear. But wont chew up tires in a turn. personally It's a work of art in MHO. What i also like. Is that after the body and all weight is added. You adjust the chassis's height with the 4 shocks. The optimal operating height of the rear leaves the bottom casting 6" off the ground. With the exhaust running through the casting. There's no worries of having to mount your pipes and mufflers underneath in that limited space. I have added more pictures and even a close-up of a $21.00 Auto Zone air cleaner. The air cleaner will do for now till I build a better looking one.
Trike Build
engineR001.jpg

RJ

Last edited:
Thanks Zoood...for clarifying how the rear end worked. It was always a question ever since I saw an HD trike maybe 20 years ago, when technology was not so "trick." The first thing I look at when I see one is how the rear is put together, and suspension setup, even the new 2009 HD TriGlide. :)

You certainly have a fine piece of machinery there...and I am sure your quality and workmanship is a good match as well. BTW, what are you by trade that gives you the "where with all" to undertake this huge project... your shop is obviously well equipped. Have you done something similar to this before?
Thanks for sharing your project with us! :newsmile01:

Last edited:
Back