free website stats program Here's my Trike build | Page 32 | Harley Davidson Forums

Here's my Trike build

The whole set up looks great. How did you waterproof the toolbox?

The whole set up looks great. How did you waterproof the toolbox?

Actually I didnt do anything. I'll let it be and see what happens. If need be I have a rubber "U" channel here. I'll adhere that to the upper lip of the bottom section of the tool box that sets under the lid. The way this tool box is formed. It looks that if I put the "U" channel on that lip. The lid will still close and at the same time seal. I have also lined the bottom of the box and the tray with a rubber mat. The tray also has velcro on its bottom side to prevent the tray from bouncing around. This will prevent additional rattles of metal to metal. Something we don't need to hear when we are riding. Thanks for that question. Though I try. I can't think of everything.
zoood

Now that the trailer is finished. I can focus on maintaining my trike. One of the very first signs any one would notice after a new engine break-in. Is the dreaded oil leaks. Ive found a small one that needs to be addressed. This fix I did will help anyone that has ever purchased the Kuryakyn Hyper Charger. The kit supplies you with 6 aluminum flat washers that are suppose to seal where the red arrows are pointing in the picture below.

576312_3460717514128_1156624144_32640374_433947740_n.jpg

I'm guessing that the manufacturer that built this kit. Never really tested their product and assumed that the aluminum washers would seal. Or just added them in with the kit because they were inexpensive. Whatever the case. They dont perform as a good seal and if you tighten them too much. You chance stripping the threads in the heads that these banjo bolts screw into. I had picked up some special sealing washers for my build. They are basically the same type washers. HD uses for sealing their brake lines.

550264_3460716914113_1156624144_32640373_669751190_n.jpg

534056_3460716034091_1156624144_32640372_1795321622_n.jpg

Above are two different types of sealing washers. I used the "Stat-O-Seal" against the banjo bolt head which has a shoulder. The "Standard Thred-Seal" I used where a seal was needed around the threaded portion of the banjo bolt.

TRIKE BUILD

zoood

The sealing washers worked great! No more leaks in that area. However,... I had another. It looked to be the oil sending unit . Which I had to off-set with some brass elbows to fit on the Ultima 113. I resealed those connections and took it for a ride. While riding on a highway at about 85mph. I felt what I thought was a bee sting on the under side of my arm. Turns out. The oil leak fix I just did. That wasn't where it was leaking. The sting that I thought I felt was hot oil hitting my arm. Back in the shop. I was thinking it may be a high pressure leak. While the trike was on the lift. I started it up and kept it at a high idle. But I couldn't locate the source. While I had it on the lift. The engine was at ear level and I didn't care for the lifter noise I was hearing. I replaced all the lifters and the lifter blocks with "Jims" parts. While I was cleaning the push rod tubes and reinserting new rubber "O" rings. I noticed that under the center "O" ring ( there's 3 "O" rings per push rod tube), there's a flat washer. The washer was bent, not allowing the "O" ring to sit flush against it. I'm betting that this is what allowed oil to escape. The wind while moving is what sent the oil everywhere.

Click to see My Trike Build

zoood

The sealing washers worked great! No more leaks in that area. However,... I had another. It looked to be the oil sending unit . Which I had to off-set with some brass elbows to fit on the Ultima 113. I resealed those connections and took it for a ride. While riding on a highway at about 85mph. I felt what I thought was a bee sting on the under side of my arm. Turns out. The oil leak fix I just did. That wasn't where it was leaking. The sting that I thought I felt was hot oil hitting my arm. Back in the shop. I was thinking it may be a high pressure leak. While the trike was on the lift. I started it up and kept it at a high idle. But I couldn't locate the source. While I had it on the lift. The engine was at ear level and I didn't care for the lifter noise I was hearing. I replaced all the lifters and the lifter blocks with "Jims" parts. While I was cleaning the push rod tubes and reinserting new rubber "O" rings. I noticed that under the center "O" ring ( there's 3 "O" rings per push rod tube), there's a flat washer. The washer was bent, not allowing the "O" ring to sit flush against it. I'm betting that this is what allowed oil to escape. The wind while moving is what sent the oil everywhere.

Click to see My Trike Build

zoood

That bent washer would cause an oil leak like that, wonder how it got bent? Going to check the other 3 just to be sure?

I checked the others as well. i had too. I was changing the lifters and lifter blocks. Both center washers on the rear cylinder were bent. I must of did it some how when prying down on the retainer cap to put the chrome top keeper in place. I also noticed that I had to run a file on the tubes surface. There were nicks and scrapes in the outer surface. I did this so that when I slid the "O" rings on. They wouldn't get damaged.

zoood

That bent washer would cause an oil leak like that, wonder how it got bent? Going to check the other 3 just to be sure?

I checked the others as well. i had too. I was changing the lifters and lifter blocks. Both center washers on the rear cylinder were bent. I must of did it some how when prying down on the retainer cap to put the chrome top keeper in place. I also noticed that I had to run a file on the tubes surface. There were nicks and scrapes in the outer surface. I did this so that when I slid the "O" rings on. They wouldn't get damaged.

zoood

:s Looks like you solved your leak, you do nice work:s Always like the pics and the in depth write ups :s

:s Looks like you solved your leak, you do nice work:s Always like the pics and the in depth write ups :s

Thank you Jack.

Im presently waiting on two new sway bar links. I went to adjust them and one snapped and the other wouldn't budge! Next I'll be going through all the oil line fittings and connections to and from the oil cooler and oil tank. This is easier said than done. Since so much has to be removed just to get at them.

zoood

The new sway bar links arrived today and I cant believe as to how easy they were to install. Even doing the adjustment. I didnt even need a wrench, till I had to tighten the locking nuts. I was told that adjustments are made to these to limit the amount of outside tilt the trike would have in a turn and also they can be adjusted to compensate for the crown in the road. Which can cause the trike to wander to the right of the roadway. This would also make riding one handed a lot easier.

My Trike Build

zoood

Back