free website stats program Heel or toe shift?? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heel or toe shift??

My '07 Geezer Glide has almost no modifications from stock. Almost! That aggravating heel shifter was the first thing that had to go. I also covered the exposed shaft with a chrome cap made for that purpose. Looks much better in my humble opinion and allows some foot repositioning on the floorboard without hitting the shifter. My left boot has a permanent indentation from shifting, but I only use 'em for riding so it is of little concern. The heel shifter would certainly keep from scuffing up "fancy shoes/boots". I also removed the passenger footrests too. Every time I went to move the bike backwards they caught me in the back of my calf. Plugged the holes with plastic, push-in type fender thingy's; works perfect!

I tried to use the heel shifter, but switching back and forth between the ultra and the dyna just got me confused. Removed the heel shifter so both bikes work the same. At my age, removing as much confusion as possible becomes a way of life. :)

Where is that little chrome (you said "I also covered the exposed shaft with a chrome cap made for that purpose") from???

I had an older Sportster and it was toe. When I got my FB it was either so I tried to do the toe/heel thing. I started to get used to it till the Springer came aboard with toe......So rather than be confused and look stupid I just toe shift.

I think it is just a personal preference thing and has little to do with anything else.

RR

I have a '03 Roadking and an '09 Softail Deluxe. Hands down Toe and Heel for me. Nutshell it is user friendly.:) Now I have an agenda to buy the longer shifting arms/bars. So these replacement parts will allow my number 13 boot fit on the footboard better. I'm shopping around for these presently.:D

I have a '03 Roadking and an '09 Softail Deluxe. Hands down Toe and Heel for me. Nutshell it is user friendly.:) Now I have an agenda to buy the longer shifting arms/bars. So these replacement parts will allow my number 13 boot fit on the footboard better. I'm shopping around for these presently.:D

Asking a ? here -----Can't you just adjust the toe end of the lever up a spline or two that way you can have room for the boot?

I personally like the heel shifter removed. I had a bike that had it and got used to and kept it for awhile, but still perfer the toe only. I think it looks better removed as well. It seems to be in the way but there is no doubt it is a personal preference and there is no wrong answer.

Back