free website stats program Heel or toe shift?? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heel or toe shift??

Asking a ? here -----Can't you just adjust the toe end of the lever up a spline or two that way you can have room for the boot?

Golly dunno...but I'll check. Hadn't thought about that mechanical scenario. Thanks a heap! gotta do something...don't want to trade my boots for Crocks LOL.

You can remove the bolt that secures the lever and adjust either one to the position that works for you.

It hasn't taken me long to get totally used to the heel shift. I've only been riding for a couple of seasons, started on an XL. So, I don't have 30 years experience like some others here of just using the toe shift. But recently my heel shifter fell off of my FLHRC, and even the short ride to the dealer to get it put back on, I kept trying to stomp the heel shift to upshift. It's just become engrained in me now, and I feel it to be much more fluid than just having a toe shift.

I think the key is to set the shifter as low as possible. I just slide my foot back (barely even having to lift my heel) to upshift. I would agree that anyone with a size 12 foot or bigger may feel a bit cramped.

ride safe
Drew

I love my heel shifter and it most definately does not get in my way, but I also keep it as low as possible. I move around all over -- even, occassionally (probably not the safest for some) putting a foot, or two on the passenger platforms. It's all in what you are comfortable with and how comfortable you are on the bike.

Last edited:
I have allways rode dressers with heel shift. Yes the toe shifter gets more use than the heel BUT.. when im drag racing or in a hurry, the heel shift is much more positive and you never miss a gear.

John

I rode bikes with toe shifter only for several years. Then I found myself on a 1976 MotoGuzzi Police Special with a heel & toe shifter. Kept me from scuffing up the toe of my service boots. Now I wouldn't go back to toe shifting unless I had to. It's all what you are used to.

John

The 'o3 Ultra that I bought had a heel shifter on it. I had never used one before, always the toe shifter for me. I made it a point to just use it and see if I liked it. It didn't take too long at all to get used to it and now I don't even think about it. I have to agree about the floorboard space being compromised a bit but, so what. A minor inconvenience for a better way to shift, I feel.

Back