free website stats program Heat!! always HEat!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat!! always HEat!!

Mavagrand

Why is it my bike is perfect for me in every aspect, design, style, quality craftsmanship, she has it all. I would be completely happy with her if it wasn't for this heat issue. I am running synthetics and installed an oil temp gauge. today in Lakeland, temp is hi 60 low 70s, she got above 240 and the EITMS system kicked in (whcih I thought wasn't suppose to until 287*). I have worried and fretted about this heat issue since I bought the bike (08 EGC) and am getting tired of it. NExt step is to install an oil cooler but, let me ask you, whats the difference, aesthetically, between an oil cooler hanging off the frame and a radiator?? I don't see any. Dont like the look, don't wanna do it, but I can't keep riding with the engine getting this hot. Someone throw me some advice here, I am at my wits end with this heat.

fit the horizontal cooler with a titianium mesh across the front to protect it a little better as i sits below/above the rectifer
i do not likel the vertical ones as they seem to just sit there and look ugly

Agreed with you Hobbit, vertical oil cooler mounting is ugly, even the metric guys with the larger water/antifreeze radiators did all kinds of things to hide-em...eventually putting fairing bodywork or hiding them in between the frame tubes! or wear sunglasses and don't look down! :newsmile108:

Hobbit: good idea. am looking into it..also saw a guy that makes small fans for these oil coolers..wired to my accessory switch, she will sound like a Kawi..:)

Biglew: appreciate your advice. gotta look into that too..frustrating ya gotta spend even more money b/c of EPA...oh well....

I agree, I would add some fuel before going with the oil cooler and if you feel you need more, then get the cooler.

What heat issue are you worrying and fretting about? Do you think the heat of an EPA lean, stock engine will cause it to wear out sooner? Sorry, no data to support that. Or is the heat giving you, the rider, discomfort? If you're looking for a little more oomph or want to cut down on some of the heat on your leg, then by all means get a fuel tuner and richen it up a bit.

I live in the South and, at the moment, feel no need for an oil cooler. I just think they're most effective when moving and that's when you've got air flowing over the motor anyway. A fan is just one more electrical thing to worry about and I don't think they're very effective either.

For me, the fuel tuner wins hands down over an oil cooler.

Changing to premium oils cut down on the heat on my 07, And for personal comfort install heat shields.

I know you guys are way ahead of me in much of the technical aspects of HDs but I wonder why Gary should be in this predicament on an ’08 Harley. I can understand if the bike’s motor has been modified in a way that would make it run hotter. I drive in a hot climate and other than using syn oil I don’t worry about the running temp unless I sitting in traffic for extended periods (rare for me). I understand the 96 inchers run hotter but, should you have to put an oil cooler on the bike to keep it in a good temp range? Similar to Dr. D, it seem like the moco is jacking riders up if the bike needs an oil cooler. I’ve seen videos about their development program and high powered facilities for coming up with great bikes. Just don’t think a stock bike should require a oil cooler in “normal” driving conditions.

Back