free website stats program Heat!! always HEat!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat!! always HEat!!

You got to be kidding me right ? More heat will always cause more wear

What I'm saying is these motors must have been designed to withstand the heat since the MOCO knows what temperature ranges are being reached due to EPA requirements. OK, your engine may wear out at 150,000 miles instead of 200,000. Not a factor for 99% of us. If you want to do things to reduce the heat for performance or comfort reasons, that's great. I wouldn't spend a nickel on heat reduction thinking I could indefinitely prolong the life of my motor. Frequent quality oil changes and regular scheduled and preventive maintenance are the tickets in that area.

What I'm saying is these motors must have been designed to withstand the heat since the MOCO knows what temperature ranges are being reached due to EPA requirements. OK, your engine may wear out at 150,000 miles instead of 200,000. Not a factor for 99% of us. If you want to do things to reduce the heat for performance or comfort reasons, that's great. I wouldn't spend a nickel on heat reduction thinking I could indefinitely prolong the life of my motor. Frequent quality oil changes and regular scheduled and preventive maintenance are the tickets in that area.

And for that reason right there i don't think the moco would do anything because most don't put the miles on them .. remember they only have to make it past the 2 year part then its your problem not the moco ..

I see the way stuff is built and cheapened all day long.

I dont' think you could indefinitely prolong the motor no matter what ya do. But to a point a cooler running motor will last longer and preform better

08 ultra here,had sert and true .duals since I rode it home the first dayIt has about 11500 miles on it and the only thing Ive done is add the heat deflectors They work well.

Bud, I agree regarding the cooler engine lasting longer..plus my bike is going into heat management at just about every light...in 65* weather ..that can't be right. It's normal operating temp, according to my gauge is around 230*....sitting at just a couple of stop lights and she kicks into heat management..like I said I love my scoot..just get tired of having my boys scorched. INSULT TO INJURY: Working on the bike when I got home, noticed fluid had dripped from my primary..knew immediately what it was. I had the dealership in Brandon do my 1000 mi service b/c it was "free". When I went to do my 5k service, the head of the screw on the lower right on the derby cover was stripped. Took it to the dealer in Lakeland, had them replace that screw and refill with HD formula+. Took the derby cover off and noticed the same screw was just spinning in the case...threads are stipped in the case. Now I gotta fight with TWO dealerships to get this fixed. Far as I'm concerned the one in Brandon is the one that stripped out the head of the screw so I am taking it to them for the damaged case. I love my scoot, I love my scoot, I love my scoot,.......

Last edited:
Bud, I agree regarding the cooler engine lasting longer..plus my bike is going into heat management at just about every light...in 65* weather ..that can't be right. It's normal operating temp, according to my gauge is around 230*....sitting at just a couple of stop lights and she kicks into heat management..like I said I love my scoot..just get tired of having my boys scorched.

yep i have seen the same thing esp if in traffic Get a TFI add more fuel engine temp will drop and run better but you will lose some MPG.. also you can get rid of the crossover pipe and go duals or a set of pipes that move the crossover down..

First my apology to mavagrand and gary. Got mixed up as to who started the thread. Agree that if you want to lower the oil temp an oil cooler should do it. Understand “heat bad”, cooler Good (to a degree…..pun somewhat intended).

Is an oil temp above 240 degrees common on 96 inch motors?

Do you guys think the 96 inchers should have oil coolers?

Does anyone know if the MOCO changed components in the 96 inchers so that they can withstand the heat better?

A prying mind wants to know.

Prob with oil coolers is they do little to help while idling or going slow, which is when the heat off these engines are an issue. If you go with heat shields, Syn oil, less restrictive pipes and a TFI or other effective fuel management system and give it a open AC, you will have done most of what you can do. Bottom line is a V Twin 96" CI engine sitting between your legs in summertime heat will be HOT. period. My 09 has all the above and when I am sitting still, it is hot. But I love it. Just ride in places your moving, not sitting. That's the idea anywat, isn't it? I avoid all the traffic and parade type garbage. I know sometimes you can't avoid it, but for the most part you (or at least I) can. Ride safe.

soooo....... does anyone know if the S&S, or Big Jim's big motors have the same heat issues? If not then why not? If so than why is it that you only hear complaints about the new HD's?

soooo....... does anyone know if the S&S, or Big Jim's big motors have the same heat issues? If not then why not? If so than why is it that you only hear complaints about the new HD's?

Probably not having to meet as strict of EPA standards.

And maybe not as many around ? Lots of the S&S are Carbed a lot easier to adjust

Back