free website stats program Heat!! always HEat!! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat!! always HEat!!

WOW;i'm totally sorry and give an abject apology for the use of the word that's like HADES.
I honestly did not think that that word could be construed as offensive.Seriously.
What can i say,except that i'm sorry!
Once again,my total and comprehensive apologies.

Not a problem, as I explained in the PM we would rather not have a list of "approved" vulgarities that would always be tested in any event. It's much easier to say NO vulgarities are allowed and we can have a nicer forum for everyone to enjoy.:s

Thanks

If its the heat on your legs? Heat Shields and wrap the exhaust. Worked like a charm on mine.

This causes your pipes to Crack .. same as it did header on cars and trucks .. ya get a hot spot and then they go.. Most Man futures will tell you not to wrap them

This causes your pipes to Crack .. same as it did header on cars and trucks .. ya get a hot spot and then they go.. Most Man futures will tell you not to wrap them

Mavagrand said in his original post that his guage was reading 240 deg F at moderate ambient temperature 65-75 deg F, tripping the bikes thermal protection limiter, basically "self preservation mode" for the bike. As Glider stated earlier, he should look into enrichening the A/F mixture first (EPA leaned out hot running mixture is not good) and then if not enough, add the oil cooler as extra insurance, just the added oil capacity and convection cooled surface area should be good for at least 10-25 deg F alone.

I would really think that the bike being under warranty should be checked by the dealer and the A/F mixture verified at different thottle openings at high ambient temperatures at little or no cost. The thermal protection limiter might be set higher (if out of spec) but ONLY once the problem is solved. There might be some new mapping downloads and other things that may have occured since he bought the bike...JMHO

Last edited:
I've considered having my pipes ceramic coated. My wife has always complained about the heat on her right shin, even back to my '99 RK. Always wonder if/how much that would help.

Front what i hear it does help quite a bit but thats hearsay i have no exp otherwise

Quite a few of my friends have gone to true duals and they say this reduces driver and passenger heat more then anything else they have done

Spent most of yesterday at the dealership in Lakeland. (As a side note, this dealership has alway given me good service. Not so much in the sales department as they DID try to bend me over but their service department is top notch). Explained what was going on, they hooked up the digitech, said everything was "normal" (finally heard that euphemism). Just gotta get used to it..oh well. Also, I noticed a little pinging and recalled that, in a moment of frugalism inspired stupidity my last two tanks were filled with midrange fuel rather than premium. Ran the tank empty, filled with premium and the pinging stopped (as expected) but I swear my temp gauge didn't get as high. Same route and it was TEN degrees cooler. Is that possible with just a change of gas??? Oh well, fretted about this long enough, time to ride to church. Ride safe.

If you are "pinging" pre-detonating you are building up excess heat in the cylinder head if it becomes extreme you will put a hole in the piston:(

Spent most of yesterday at the dealership in Lakeland. (As a side note, this dealership has alway given me good service. Not so much in the sales department as they DID try to bend me over but their service department is top notch). Explained what was going on, they hooked up the digitech, said everything was "normal" (finally heard that euphemism). Just gotta get used to it..oh well. Also, I noticed a little pinging and recalled that, in a moment of frugalism inspired stupidity my last two tanks were filled with midrange fuel rather than premium. Ran the tank empty, filled with premium and the pinging stopped (as expected) but I swear my temp gauge didn't get as high. Same route and it was TEN degrees cooler. Is that possible with just a change of gas??? Oh well, fretted about this long enough, time to ride to church. Ride safe.

If you are "pinging" pre-detonating you are building up excess heat in the cylinder head if it becomes extreme you will put a hole in the piston:(

Boy, are you lucky you did not hole a piston...using improper octane gas is the same as leaning out a mixture or altering the engine timing five degrees or more...fortunately most modern fuel injection systems have a "knock" sensor telling the processor to retard the timing to preserve the engine, the initial pinging is heard prior to the processor doing it's due dilligence, but running the engine this way definately added more BTU's for the engine to be rid of...:newsmile040:

are you guys serious?? Pinging is that seriouos?? My bro Vulcan does it all the time. Maybe what I heard wasn't pinging..can't say definitively I've ever heard pinging..what I was hearing sounded like something was "tapping" against a heat shiled or something..had a sort of metal "ping" (errr) to it. Noticed it would occur during acceleration..either way, after I filled up with Premium, it stopped immediately.

Back