free website stats program Heat!! always HEat!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat!! always HEat!!

Probably not having to meet as strict of EPA standards.

And maybe not as many around ? Lots of the S&S are Carbed a lot easier to adjust
even with the addition of a tuner, that makes the bike run outside of the epa standards, they still run hot. I'm running my afr at 13.8:1 and it's still gets pretty hot.

Bud, I am running Xieds on my bike..it has the same AFR as yours..checked my plugs..nice tan color..these engines just run hot!!

Bud, I am running Xieds on my bike..it has the same AFR as yours..checked my plugs..nice tan color..these engines just run hot!!

I wont argue that they do run hot But why? given air cooled runs hot but why dont the 88's run this hot or the evo's?
Got to be how lean they are .the didnt bump the compression wildly up or running a wild cam. I know the oil Temp will be hotter with the addition of the oil jets that spray on the underside of the piston to cool it .

The stock EPA cam has a lot to do with the heat too.

What is the EPA doing vs a non Epa ? Lot of valve over lap or short exhust duration ? and what about the timing of the motor in general Retarded quite a bit?

See below please:

What fan Dr D...?

There are plenty of rugged aftermarket fans with sealed ball bearings and made for heavyduty, long-life commercial/military environs by Rotron, EBM and others, in all sizes from 1 1/2" to 8" or larger w/various features, airflow sensors, tach, etc. Been in military electronics design for awhile, trust me, you just gotta know what you want and design it in, many of the sites have design calculators to help you determine heat dissipation for the cavity area you need to cool. :bigsmiley24:

Here we go!
Over where i live,it gets plenty hot in summer.Ambient temps.up as high as 38-40 degreesC (~140 deg F) - and sometimes more.Reflected road heat of up to 50 degreesC (~150 deg F) .(AS MEASURED ON MY WORK SITES).We have put full Synthetics into our 3 '08 bikes;H-D oil coolers on each and Lenale Engineering cooling fans on 2 bikes.Plus a Thundermax on one and plans for either a Tmax or TFI on another.

Now i know others on this site have had bad experiences with the above fans;WE haven't.They've worked fine and done their job.Blowing air across the fins.The oil coolers also work well;EVEN if you're not moving.Heat can be lost through convection.and the extra surface area of an oil cooler will allow this to happen.Every BTU lost helps.
Full Synthetic oils are well documented elsewhere on this site,suffice to say we saw about 12 degreesC lower temps.And better lubrication-what more could you want?

The fuel device didn't seem to make much difference to running temps,but sure as (EDITED) made a difference to running!The fact that it has altered the lean characteristics of the motor and made it perform better, has more than likely contributed to a cooler engine.Petrol has a latent cooling ability,and if you add more,then you are,in fact, helping to cool.

You do what you can.And you can too_Oil coolers,altering fuel mixtures,free flowing filters and pipes,fans;and depending how far you want to go,you can alter the timing or bump up the compression ratio.
I know you shouldn't have to do any of this,but doing SOME of this will provide you with a better bike.

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go!
Over where i live,it gets plenty hot in summer.Ambient temps.up as high as 38-40 degreesC -and sometimes more.Reflected road heat of up to 50 degreesC.(AS MEASURED ON MY WORK SITES).We have put full Synthetics into our 3 '08 bikes;H-D oil coolers on each and Lenale Engineering cooling fans on 2 bikes.Plus a Thundermax on one and plans for either a Tmax or TFI on another.

Now i know others on this site have had bad experiences with the above fans;WE haven't.They've worked fine and done their job.Blowing air across the fins.The oil coolers also work well;EVEN if you're not moving.Heat can be lost through convection.and the extra surface area of an oil cooler will allow this to happen.Every BTU lost helps.
Full Synthetic oils are well documented elsewhere on this site,suffice to say we saw about 12 degreesC lower temps.And better lubrication-what more could you want?
I did not intend The fuel device didn't seem to make much difference to running temps,but sure as (EDITED) made a difference to running!The fact that it has altered the lean characteristics of the motor and made it perform better, has more than likely contributed to a cooler engine.Petrol has a latent cooling ability,and if you add more,then you are,in fact, helping to cool.

You do what you can.And you can too_Oil coolers,altering fuel mixtures,free flowing filters and pipes,fans;and depending how far you want to go,you can alter the timing or bump up the compression ratio.
I know you shouldn't have to do any of this,but doing SOME of this will provide you with a better bike.
WOW;i'm totally sorry and give an abject apology for the use of the word that's like HADES.
I honestly did not think that that word could be construed as offensive.Seriously.
What can i say,except that i'm sorry!
Once again,my total and comprehensive apologies.

Back