Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Quality is falling off just recently.

Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Poor quality overall.

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Too many offshore parts now.

Votes: 52 14.9%

• Total voters
Early on in it's life I had a few engine problems with my bike, most were probably my doing, putting the 204 cams in with an Andrews 4* advance sprocket pushed the limits of the pressed crank. HD replaced the crank with the SE welded one under warranty so I have no complaints there. I have over 60,000 miles on her now and I took her in because it was wobbly cornering (I have the ESP so I wanted them to check it before I did) They found that the rear wheel bearings were trashed and the fronts were on their way out as well. Replaced them as well as both tires because of the uneven wear it was causing. I happily paid the $50. fee. As far as the frame and tin paint I have no complaints I ride in all kinds of weather and never cover my bike when outside and it can be polished to look like the day it came out of the factory. (minus a few stone chips)

After riding 25 years and numerous bikes my 2008 Harley has the best quality of them all. There maybe a premium to purchase a Harley and I believe it is worth it do to the quality put into building Harley's.

This has been my opinion for the last 5 years till this week. Found out the inner primary bearing has failed through no fault of my own, and which is a common problem, and Harley has no interest at all assiting in repairing bike. So I have contacted customer service with no help but will escalate it up the ladder. Said part is on this bike Harley had only spent approx $125.00 dollars when it was under warranty. And the bearing and parts installed are the same as the failed part numbers. So I guess in 25,000 miles it will probably happen again. Glad I did not purchase that super duper extended warranty for bike would have exceeded expiration date on plan also and I would have been out $1400.00.:(:(

I have ridden just about every make of bike except BMW there is just something about a Harley that feels better kinda like sitting on a two wheel freight train and I have the controls. The chrome on my bike is the best i have ever seen flawless. Can't say enough good about it ....

I have owned some Jap bikes that had rusted easily and the chrome had gone dull. The Harley, however is still looking great chrome wise, but the mudguards (I think you call then fenders in the USA) are starting to bubble at the edges in the paintwork. The rest of the bike seems bulletproof (although I've never tested that theory myself). Even after it being hit by a car side-on, I have to say that the solidity of the bike saved me from being too badly injured. Just a broken gear shift and a few dents on the front pipe. The rest of the bike seems to have survived but I will have to wait and see what the mechanic says after full evaluation.

Tom

I have owned some Jap bikes that had rusted easily and the chrome had gone dull. The Harley, however is still looking great chrome wise, but the mudguards (I think you call then fenders in the USA) are starting to bubble at the edges in the paintwork. The rest of the bike seems bulletproof (although I've never tested that theory myself). Even after it being hit by a car side-on, I have to say that the solidity of the bike saved me from being too badly injured. Just a broken gear shift and a few dents on the front pipe. The rest of the bike seems to have survived but I will have to wait and see what the mechanic says after full evaluation.

Tom

Those must have been some pretty cheap jap bikes ? Ive never had what you describe happen on any that I have owned and I've owned a lot of bikes in my day .

Perhaps I got lucky with my 2011 Heritage. Other then personalizing the bike with accessories and heated grips she has been great. I really like the quality of the bike as a whole. The availability of parts and the support of so many Harley owners is a bonus. I have owned Hondas and Triumphs for years and there is nothing like the Harley community.

Early on in it's life I had a few engine problems with my bike, most were probably my doing, putting the 204 cams in with an Andrews 4* advance sprocket pushed the limits of the pressed crank. HD replaced the crank with the SE welded one under warranty so I have no complaints there. I have over 60,000 miles on her now and I took her in because it was wobbly cornering (I have the ESP so I wanted them to check it before I did) They found that the rear wheel bearings were trashed and the fronts were on their way out as well. Replaced them as well as both tires because of the uneven wear it was causing. I happily paid the $50. fee. As far as the frame and tin paint I have no complaints I ride in all kinds of weather and never cover my bike when outside and it can be polished to look like the day it came out of the factory. (minus a few stone chips)
You're a lucky man. My 2008 Sportster is rotting before my eyes due to riding in the rain now and again. It lives in the garage and I used to keep a breathable cover over it. The garage isn't heated, although it's dry in there and my other bikes have been fine, so maybe that's the reason. I don't know. I really like the Harley - a lovely fun bike to ride but my German and Japanese bikes have far better paintwork. I hear the newer HDs have thicker paint so maybe they've solved the problem and my poor little babe is a victim of her era.

Must be your nasty climate over there cedar

It could be Hillbilly81 though I think it was just poor paintwork. She's not been out in the rain all that much to be honest. I've got a bit more time on my hands coming up so it's going to be a project for me to strip her down and get her rust-free and resprayed. She's a lovely bike and deserves to be clean and shiny again.

Back