Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Quality is falling off just recently.

Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Poor quality overall.

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Too many offshore parts now.

Votes: 52 14.9%

• Total voters
i have owned several harleys since the mid 70,s ive had some good some bad 74 xlch first bike had it 13 years never had a problem but i has some lemons (79 wide glide) i currently ride a 09 electra glide classic
stage 2 103 cams vance and hines head pipes SE mufflers just glad i bought the extended warrenty starter drive, comp sprocket, both speakers, front wheel bearings not to mention the recalls
the victory's are not looking too bad these days
i'm just glad i can ride

40,000 miles on my 08 Fat Boy over trails and through conditions most will never go. Not once did it fail me for a manufacurers defect (well, ok, the o-ring in the quick disconnect fuel line had to be replaced), but that is hardly a significant issue.
It rides and runs as well as the day it was delivered.
I look forward to the next 40 K miles.

Ride safe and enjoy the Spirit!

I have spent most of my working life in Motorcyles Sales, new models from all the Japanese Manufacturers, most Italian and a couple of British Brands. I also have dealt with used ( and sometimes abused ) models from all brands, including HD.

My conclusions are that for me, Harley Davidson styling is without any doubt the finest anywhere, and I mean that on a component level, not just overall bike styling which I still find an 'art form' even after all these years, I can sit and just look at my FXDC and always find something new to like, visually. During todays 'deep' clean, I was in awe of the attention to detail of the small parts that make up the whole bike, they are beautiful ! There is a vast difference in attention to ( cool ) detail with HD, really, I mean this, having studied other brands at length and in detail, so much of a Harley just looks 'right', very right. Very clever.

Build Quality is very good, given the constraints of pricing and mass production, amazingly good actually. Certainly the paintwork is the best anywhere and I have only seen equal quality on a Honda NR750 - an ultra limited edition, hand buily machine from the 90's which even back then retailed at £38500 ( $55,000 ) - HD must be proud.

I'm on my first Harley but my 26th bike overall. Its a 2006 Street Glide. I am however a bit discouraged with the TC 88 and it's ridiculous cam chain tensioner setup. I mean how cheap and pathetic is that setup? I love the bike but just can't rest knowing that's in there and with 22k miles I'm ultra concerned. I'm having it changed over to gear drive and that gonna cost me a pretty penny to do something Harley should have done themselves!

I'm on my first Harley but my 26th bike overall. Its a 2006 Street Glide. I am however a bit discouraged with the TC 88 and it's ridiculous cam chain tensioner setup. I mean how cheap and pathetic is that setup? I love the bike but just can't rest knowing that's in there and with 22k miles I'm ultra concerned. I'm having it changed over to gear drive and that gonna cost me a pretty penny to do something Harley should have done themselves!

Harley did do something about it. They changed it over to the hydraulic tensioners in '07. '06 on the Dyna models. And it shouldn't cost a pretty penny to convert it. I swapped mine over on my Heritage. No big deal. The extra money is in the new cams if you're going to do that, but that's your choice. You can do the tensioner upgrade without new cams for about $400, (another $160 if you go with adjustable pushrods), and that includes a new high volume oil pump. You should change the inner cam bearings too while you're in there. Both bearings only cost about $15, but the remover/installer tools aren't cheap, for a one time only useage. If the dealer is doing the work, then they already have the proper tools. I'd re-think the gear drive cams if I were you. Just do the tensioner upgrade and put in some bigger chain driven cams and you're good to go. With only 22K miles on it, have you pulled the nose cone to inspect the tensioners? They might still be in great shape and not need replacing for many more miles, but go for it if it gives you greater peace of mind.

The hydraulic upgrade is more of a bandaid then a fix . It's still a lousy setup. Gear drive is bullet proof and a far better option. As for cams there is no extra labor just the price of the cams ($300) dealer quoting $1400 installed for the hydraulic tensioners and cams parts and labor. I will pull the cover and give it a quick check

Last edited by a moderator:
The hydraulic upgrade is more of a bandaid then a fix . It's still a lousy setup. Gear drive is bullet proof and a far better option. As for cams there is no extra labor just the price of the cams ($300) dealer quoting $1400 installed for the hydraulic tensioners and cams parts and labor. I will pull the cover and give it a quick check

How is the hydraulic upgrade a bandaid? Every twin cam since '07 has it from the factory and I haven't heard of any problems with it. The newer nylon material is much better than the old orange plastic and there's not as much tension on the chain. And if gear drive cams are bullet proof, then why doesn't every Harley have them? Seems to me it would be cheaper for Harley to put in gear drive cams than the chain driven cams with the tensioners, so if this was the best option, then Harley would be installing gear drive cams at the factory. The problem with the gear drives is the crank runout. If the crank is true, no problem, but how many older cranks are still within specs?

Up until 99 they did use gear drive. Noise regulations made them swap. Even the hydraulic plastic tensioners are a wearable item. Read up on it. It's a band aid at best and I'm not spending $1000 +++ for a band aid. Nobody disputes how bulllet proof gear drive is on bikes or cars also has many other benefits

Up until 99 they did use gear drive. Noise regulations made them swap. Even the hydraulic plastic tensioners are a wearable item. Read up on it. It's a band aid at best and I'm not spending $1000 +++ for a band aid. Nobody disputes how bulllet proof gear drive is on bikes or cars also has many other benefits

Every moving part on a bike can be considered a "wearable item". Tires, brake pads, clutches, etc. all wear out eventually. It's just part of the fun of maintenance on our bikes. Should I not change my tires when needed, because I'll have to change them again at a later date??? I've got nothing against gear driven cams, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with the newer hydraulic tensioners.
It's your ride, you decide.

I understand what you are saying but none of what you just mentioned will destroy the motor if it fails. Its a very poor design and if I'm gonna spend the money why would I go for the cheaper and less effective alternative? The difference in price is less than $200 . And no plastic tensioner will ever last or be as bullet proof as a set of steel gears.

Back